What is this weed? Hurts when you touch it

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by yanner13, Sep 8, 2010.

1. yanner13

yanner13 New Seed

I bought new black soil and put it in my garden. This weed came through a lot. I assume it was seeds in the soil so I'm unsure if it's native here but I'm in Ontario, Canada. I pulled some without gloves and it hurt BAD. I've pulled raspberries and other prickly plants and they only hurt for a couple seconds where as thing hurt for around 24 hours. It was like i got stung by an insect. There are very small prickles on the stem. WHAT IS IT???

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yanner,
    So sorry you got introduced to stinging nettle! It is a horrid plant, as you now know.
    In future, if you don't have thick gloves on, use two sticks or better yet, a pair of kitchen tongs to pull it.
    Here in Texas we have a lot of fully armed vegetation, and I have a pair of long kitchen tongs as a tool in my gardening bag. Sure come in handy!

5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

You could always eat it, or make Beer fromit or even cloth!.
    We have a garden full of them, the seeds blow in from the surrounding fields. Been stung so many times now that we do not get the charateristic little bumps any more, but the pain is best described as severe and it lasts over 24 hours. And despite trying every cure ever suggested by anyone at all, nothing works to remove it or stop it or reduce it.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

We have something here that is a similarly objectionable plant called bull nettle. Stings like the dickens. Try this for relief from the sting,,Mix a couple of teaspoons of any papaya based meat tenderizer, (Adolfs is good) and about 1/4 cup milk. Mix into a paste and rub on sting. Also works for insect stings. This paste neutralizes the venom of bees and other stings. I think it would also work on the nettle. My old family doctor always recommended it. As long as you were not acutely allergic to the venom or plant.

7. yanner13

yanner13 New Seed

Thank you all, I will know how to deal with it now

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

OMG!! What a terrible weed. Now I feel really lucky having to deal with nut grass. :D