What is this? Yucca, Dracaena or something else?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by MaryKeith, Aug 25, 2015.

1. MaryKeith

MaryKeith New Seed

Hello everyone! I have this plant in my living room, but I'm not sure what it is and now that I have a parrot, which likes to spend his time on that plant, I want to know is it safe for him. If these pictures aren't good, I will take a few more. Thanks. IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1065.JPG

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Hi & welcome!

It's a Dracaena, the most unusual one I've ever seen (from its' extended low-light growth pattern, not that it's an uncommon plant.) It's an amazing specimen! How long have you had it? Not sure exactly what kind from these pics. Compare to 'Janet Craig' and 'Janet Craig Compacta.' No idea if Dracaenas are safe around birds or not.

Not that there's anything wrong with the way it is now, I LOVE unusual and unique plants, especially when they become so over a very long time, but your plant could be cut off and the stump would produce new growth much closer to the soil level. The top could be used to grow new roots & become a separate plant, or put in the same pot, to create a multiple-trunk specimen. If you have an interest, I'd be happy to elaborate.

4. MaryKeith

MaryKeith New Seed

Thank you very much!
    I think it's been here a long time, my mum bought it. It's really big so she twisted the branches and I think that's why it looks so unusual. There is another one growing in the same pot and I plan to cut it off and put it in my room. The problem is that it's in the corner, behind the couch, so it's difficult to access. Thanks for your reply.

5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Happy to swap anecdotes, and enjoyed seeing your very cool plant, very much!

Tooty2shoes and MaryKeith like this.
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Mary I did an online search to see what came up as toxic to pet birds and your plant was not in the list. It did say that Orchids, some Ivies, and Christmas trees and holly are toxic to pet birds.