What is wrong with.my tulips?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Tina, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I had planted these tulips in this pot 5 years back. They were doing so well that I didn't change anything after that. This year I see that the leaves don't look too healthy as you can see from the picture . Should I repot these after they finish blooming this year? Anything else to keep them healthy?

[​IMG]
    unhealthy tulips ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tina, after five years your tulips need repotting. When the foliage dies back and is yellowed, dig up your bulbs and separate them (there may be bulblets attached to the bigger bulbs which will, with time, become big enough to bloom).
    Give the pot new soil and plant half the bulbs in the pot. Put the other half in another pot with new soil. A little bonemeal mixed into the soil at repotting time wouldn't hurt at all.
    I envy you--here tulips don't have "chill time" and are treated as annuals, or we have to put the bulbs in the fridge to chill enough before planting.

Frank and stratsmom like this.
  4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The damage appears to be on the first leaves to emerge from winter slumber. Perhaps a late frost, animals hunting for a snack or a Yeti step on them. :) It does not continue with the later leaves. Often the first leaves of spring plants experience damage from the seasonal change. I would not change anything.

Jerry

5. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Yup. Could be weather damage.
    And they don't look that crowded... I don't see young plants emerging near the big ones.

6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I would be sure to fertilize them. I usually can't get tulips to bloom for 5 years. They tend to peter out for me after 3 or so. I actually think you are doing very well to have them last this long.