What kind of grass (or weed) is this?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Paige, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Paige

Paige New Seed

We have a lawn company that comes and sprays for weeds, but this hasn't died after they came, so I'm not sure if it's a weed. We have had an incredibly difficult time getting grass to survive the summer in our back yard, as you can see in the second pic, but this patch is one of the only areas that has thrived. if it is a type of grass, I want to plant more of it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Anyone?

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sorry Ronni, I do not recognise it. I mean, it looks like a grass sort, from here...but the sort, I have no idea. I would be tempted to suggest a rye sort, but here the rye sorts that one sees are much longer; however, they do grow in clumps like that grass on your daughter's lawn seems to be doing.

If it is a wild grass type, it ought to sow itself out.

I am fairly sure that it isn't Johnson grass--which you wouldn't want anyway.

I haven't been any help at all, but i just wanted to answer to let you know that
    Paige wasn't being ignored. I guess that most of the folks on here are like me and simply do not have a clue.

I can empathize and say that it is such a shame to have a new home, but with a flagging back lawn. It is the pits. There are alternative ideas to a lawn though. Has she considered that? I mean to say..."Paige, have you considered that"?

5. Paige

Paige New Seed

Yes, I've considered it all :like: for now, I'm sticking with trying to get a traditional lawn to grow, because I think it's still doable if I can find a better variety. The original grass planted is tall fescue, which is what you're seeing in those clumps. This patch is the only one that has covered a decent portion of the ground and looks different than the fescue, so I'm trying to identify it. Had I known fescue did better in shade, I would have never let our lawn service put that down two years in a row in our completely sunny, zero shade yard! They're fired now, btw.

Ronni likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Could be a type of rye grass. I know sometimes they use rye on building sites to keep the soil from washing during construction. But rye usually seeds out and that seems to be spreading from the root. If you want more of it just take plugs from the grass you have now and put them around in the yard and let them grow to fill in.
    Mmm,,,I enlarged that pic and another possibility is Bermuda,, common or coastal . The close up shot made it look different,,I enlarged the last pic.
    Does it have runners ? That looks similar to how it grows.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016