What rials up your dander?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Tooty2shoes, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I will say sorry to anyone who breeds these dogs, or has bought a "designer" (which is really a mutt) dog lately. I have nothing agains all the breeds that are being crossed with Poodles. I would probably buy one if they where under 100.00, as I love a non-shed dog.

But have people LOST their brains. Years ago people would give away mutt puppies.
    I saw an ad in our local News paper recently for Labradoodles with an asking price of
    1,000.00 dollars for one.

Sorry, but no one in their right mind should even consider paying over 100.00, much less paying 1,000.00 dollars for one. :eek:

Really! You can buy some wonderful pure breed dogs for under 500.00 and some of them are non-shedding.

Sorry for the rant, but that is one of my pet peeves.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tooty, one of my pet peeves is people who buy a dog to reflect their status, to look "cool", or just to have a breed that is unusual. Poor dog--an owner that considers it an acquisition, not a beloved pet.
    We've had "mutts" from the Humane Society shelter, and each one was a great companion/pet/learning experience. Our Golden/St. Bernard, and our Collie/St. Bernard mix were both wonderful guys that we shared life with. I'd rather give $1000 to a shelter and take a "mutt" than spend that money on a dog that makes me look affluent and fashionable.
    (Neither were non-shedding. Actually, they had shedding down to a science, but our grooming time was a bonding experience!).

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Tooty I agree with you. When a poodle mated with another breed years ago they were simply called cross breeds and didn't attract big prices like they do now. When we were looking for a dog we saw adverts for these pups starting at £750 +
    Even more if both parents weren't registered kennel club breeds. Needless to say we didn't go for one as, no matter how pure each parent is, they are still cross breeds in my mind.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup Marlin and Eileen I agree with you both. Our sweet little dog Tootsie was a shelter puppy who passed away this last year. That was 13years ago when we adopted her and these designer Mutt's where just getting their start.
    I also would rather rescue a sweet fur baby and give the shelter a $$$$ that would help so many more pets.

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Am in total agreement. Some of the cross breeds are cute. Not cute sufficient to warrant the ridiculous high prices they are commanding but some of the cross breeds are also ugly having acquired the worst of both parents. By ugly I'm meaning the worst traits of their parents such that health issues result.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup I agree also. But I am still wondering about your pet peeves so to speak. What rials up your dander.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

People who let their dogs roam. We are in the country, and dogs who chase cattle can be shot on the spot. I've been working in the garden and looked up to see a very large dog staring at me in an unfriendly way. Driving in town is playing "dodge the dog" on the streets. Hey folks, it is your pet, take care of it by leash or fence. (I admit to being overly protective of our pets.)

Tooty2shoes and Netty like this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My pet hate is people who won't pick up their dogs poo. I hate seeing it on footpaths or where children play. It only takes a second to scoop, bag it and deposit it in a bin.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

What riles me is the extreme amount of $$ spent on Elections. All the excessive $$ that goes on the airwaves and for pins/pamphlets etc etc etc when so many need so much only to hear there is no $$ available for them.

Tooty2shoes, 2ofus and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Boiling an entire electric kettle of water for one cup of tea.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I hate people that throw garbage and cigarette butts out their car windows. Nothing is worse than going for a walk and finding garbage everywhere! Take it HOME and throw it in the GARBAGE!! I also hate it when people think country roads are their personal dumping grounds. It's spring and so we will start finding piles of garbage on the sides of our rural roads. The garbage dump is just a few miles away ... take it THERE!

Tooty2shoes, 2ofus, carolyn and 2 others like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Netty, our town has a clean up weekend every year. Residents sign up to pick up refuse along the roads. We have been doing this for some time now. I continue to be surprised by the number of "trucker bombs" found along the roadways. Google it if you don' t know what it is.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I just looked 'trucker bombs' up ... that is disgusting!!!
    I pick up the garbage on my stretch of road on my dog walks. I don't find trucker bombs here, but I do find small water bottles with chewing tobacco spit inside. Almost as gross.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yeah, I'd say that's gross. You must not live on a road that gets truck traffic. Thankfully I don't either, but the main roads in town do.

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Our roads seem to be somewhat clean but I have seen the 'trucker bombs' that are so disgusting. What makes me the maddest is the people that toss their cigarettes out the window!

Tooty2shoes likes this.