What rials up your dander?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Tooty2shoes, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That makes me crazy! I have actually found smoldering cigarette butts on the dry grass in the ditches. Just a fire waiting to happen.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yikes you all. Those are some of my pet peeves also. I also can't understand why people can't put things back on the store shelves where they belong.
    I was in at Good Will and I was straightening up the picture area. I always look for a good buy on metal frames for my art work.
    Anyway here comes this guy and he pulls out a picture looks at it and sets it on top of where he took it out of. I thought maybe he was saving it and was going to take it with him. NO WAY.
    He just left it there a walked away. I felt like going after him and asking him if he puts things away at his house but I figured I would save my breath. Away, thanks for sharing some of your pet peeves.
    Sometimes I just do not understand how they think.o_O

Frank likes this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

#1,,people that use our county roads for a race track. Some go so fast you can not tell what kind of car they drive. And for those that do not know,,if you are driving and hit an animal on county roads in Texas,,we do not pay for damage to your car,,you do pay for damage/death to our animal ! This applies to specified county roads only,,not farm to market roads,highways ect !
    I could write a book on everything that peeves me !!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. CJay

CJay In Flower

Im not a fan of designer breeds either. But please remember that every single current registered breed started out as two or more other breeds intermixed to give offspring desired traits. It generally took many generations of breeding to finally become a registered breed. Every single recognized breed of dog started out as a mutt. And these many generations of selective breeding is what gave us traits like hip dysplasia and what not.

Me? I will never pay more than an adoption fee for a dog.

What really raises my dander (I prefer the term hackles. It suits my personality more) is when people believe they deserve what I have earned simply for existing.

Oh. It also raises my hackles when the nurses do some checking or tests on my son while he's eating. Finishing an entire bottle is one of the milestones he has to reach before he can come home. I'm seriously about to start breaking nurses fingers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Tooty2shoes and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

CRUSHED PINEAPPLE... yes, you read that correctly. I used a can of Libby's to make a cake I found a recipe for on the 'net. that frosting and the cake each called for a can of pineapple. have you ever used it? I was spitting chunks of the crushed CORE out as I was eating it. GROSS! I bought a can labeled PINEAPPLE not CORE!

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

CJay, do not break nurses' fingers. They have access to sharp instruments:setf_018:.
    Carolyn, how about a can of tuna that was just a can? I returned it to the store and got one with tuna actually in the can. Now I check the weight of every can I buy to make sure I'm getting some ingredients!

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

When at a grocery store finding dented cans on the shelves. They should remove them and reduce the price. I am sure some low income people would appreciate the help,,but when I am paying full price I do not expect to get damaged goods !

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. CJay

CJay In Flower

Fun fact. They used to reduce the price of dented cans because the laqour contained BPA. A dented can meant that there was a greater risk of injesting pieces of the laqour. With the BPA free laqour that isnt a concern.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

CJay...you are a fount of information! My dad was a chemist & he promptly threw out any dented cans. Of course this was....let's just say, a while ago.

Tooty2shoes and CJay like this.
  10. CJay

CJay In Flower

Worked in a food can plant before I had my son. ;)

The concerns over BPA in regards to food cans is largely overstated. Yeah the stuff isnt good. But for a person to be affected theyd have to eat something like 30 cans that were dented or had exceeded their shelf life every day for like fifteen years for there to be a cumulative effect. But better safe than sorry.

Interesting fact. Cans coated in laqour with 10Q (a BPA item) had a shelf life of 36 months while cans coated with PPG 3553 (the BPA varient) have a shelf life of 18 months. This is obviously dependant on what type of food is in the cans.

Oh. Tomatoes have the lowest shelf life because they interact badly with the steel in the cans and do bad things to the laqours used.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  11. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

Glass jars are the best for canning foods. I have eaten things from my grandmothers pantry that were delicious after 5-7 years in there. It was dark and cool in there so that helped too.
    The government and those who want to "control" our food will tell the public that all their chemicals are basically harmless unless you eat a certain amount, etc.
    ....If they are harmless then why didn't the Creator make them?
    They are man made and not good for you in any amount, period.
    The lies they push.."raises my hackles"..
    @CJay...it's your son, tell the nurses to stop until he is finished. They want respect, then they need to learn it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow-loved reading all the grips and well and the great info. Canned Tuna--ya, there is one brand I will not buy because every time I opened a can the Tuna was all mushy. YUCK!
    DeepWoods-I always thought the same. One thing I can't understand is all the preservatives they put in FROZEN foods. Doesn't the fact that they are frozen keep them fresh. It like Really.
    I always try and buy Organic. I know, I know---that can be another whole can of worms so to speak. My step-daughter is in Australia for 6 months. I do not mean to step on any Aussie's toes that are here on the Stew. But I think I have the connotation correct--if there is more of the same to say in a story or info they are giving you. They will say, Blah, blah, blah. That is such a great way to end a conversation. :like:

CJay likes this.
  13. CJay

CJay In Flower

Just cause something is frozen does not mean that it doesnt decompose.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

speaking of things that get my dander up... but shouldn't.... everytime I pick up groceries for my inlaws... as soon as I get home... there is one more thing they need. and usually something not to be done without.

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

This morning I opened up my Hotmail only to see that they have 'modified' my Email to "FOCUS'd" and "OTHER" and are now arbitrarily separating my emails into these two folders.

WHY?? (I also still have JUNK email option)

What riles me is that I never have a chance to OPT OUT! I hate it that all these cyber updates are foisted onto me and I have no choice at all re: accepting or not. UGH! Riles me up!