What Spade Do You Own?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by jonmark, Jun 15, 2015.

1. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

I'm typically a thrifty person. I reuse, repurpose, and buy on sale. However, I recently watched a show by Alan Titchmarsh called How to Be a Gardener. In the first episode he said that a good spade was worth the money, and that his current spade is the same one his grandfather used. I thought to myself, "How cool would it be to buy an heirloom quality garden tool that I could pass down to my kids?!?!"

So I've scoured the web and have list of 3-4 top quality tool makers in mind (Dewit, Burgon and Ball, Bulldog, Sneeboer etc.) If you own a nice spade I'd like to hear your thoughts and reccomendations.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can't use either a spade or shovel in the hard as concrete black clay we have for soil, I use a garden fork instead. I do have a couple of shovels that came with my hubby....why he had them I will never understand since he doesn't do any digging in the yard.

4. jonmark

jonmark Seedling

So I ordered a spade from Dewit. Unfortunately, as soon as I opened the package I realized that the shaft was not in line with the head. Boooo! So it's back in the mail today and I have a Bulldog spade on order. Hopefully it works out better. Here's a picture of the Dewit.

2015-06-17 21.17.43.jpg