What to do with Basil and Sage

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by KOW, Sep 27, 2011.

1. KOW

KOW New Seed

Newbie here. I have a large basil plant and a tri-color sage plant. I don't really want to make pesto with the basil but what other way is there to store the basil and the sage. If I'm drying, can I do that in the oven? Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

This is harvest time for my basil, as the nights are getting below 50 degrees F. May have been slightly too long, should have done this yesterday, as the leaves are starting to droop.

[​IMG]
    Basil at harvest time ( photo / image / picture from Karrma's Garden )

I pulled out a couple of my smaller basil plants by the roots, and replanted in the kitchen. This should last for months for small amounts, not enough for a pesto sauce.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Karrma's Garden )

The rest, I pulled off the leaves and tender branches, cleaned, and dried off the excess water. Chopped coarse in the processor, added some olive oil to help preserve texture and flavor.

[​IMG]
    basil prep ( photo / image / picture from Karrma's Garden )

Then put it in a container, removed the air. I dipped the bag in water to squeeze out the air, being careful not to get water in the bag. Ready for the freezer.

[​IMG]
    Ready for freezer ( photo / image / picture from Karrma's Garden )

In the past, I have made pesto and frozen it, but at $30 a pound, pine nuts are not on my grocery list right now.

Many times my sage lasts most of the winter outdoors, so I have not frozen it. It is a much stronger leaf, and freezes ok without processing.

Frank likes this.
  5. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

i'm currently processing mine into pesto :)

i put mine into ice cube trays then into zip locks. easier for portion control later.

last year i hung my sage upside down and dried it then blitzed it. have been using it all year as dried sage.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Pine nuts are not absolutely essential for pesto. I use pecans (plentiful here in Texas) and I have seen recipes that called for walnuts in pesto.

7. KOW

KOW New Seed

Thanks all for the advice. I will freeze the basil so that will be okay as long as DH doesn't decide the clean the freezer and throw it out because he doesn't know what it is. As the sage, I will wait until it's really bad outside the then dry/chop.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KOW, herbs retain more of their flavor if you leave them whole-leaf when drying. I dry mine and then crumble just before using.
    Label your frozen basil--what a shame if your crop got tossed! (Of course, any husband who will clean out the freezer is to be cherished, not chastised).

9. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

My 17 year old son cleans out the freezer, and fridge and pantry. And then tells me there is nothing in the house to eat.