What tomato's to grow next year.........

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Nov 20, 2016.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I'm in the planning stages of what tomato's I want to grow next year. I'm going to try something a bit different and grow some determinate ones for canning and sauce/paste. I've never grown determinate tomato's before so I need a bit of advice on ones that are heavy bearers. I'm only going to grow 8 maybe 10 of them, so they need to produce well. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions are all welcome.

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Here we get "Early Girl" or sometimes labelled "Bush Early Girl." I've never found them to produce heavily and often the tomatoes they do produce lack flavor.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ferline and Crimson Crush...with possibly the pozzano.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

san marzano and costoluto genovese are both nice for sauce and produce well.

hummerbum likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Rutgers is a semi.

7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I will follow Carolyn on San Marzano..and a bunch of others...I'm going to have to get crafty with the container to put them in so they won't walk away next year..I just received my tomato catalog and the colors are so bright...makes you want to buy everything.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

that is just sad. do you grow tomatoes at all? they really aren't as hard to get started as they seem to be. they are actually the easiest plant to get started.. not always the easiest to get fruit from, but I have them just start in the garden... no help from me at all. My row of san marzanos and romas last year... COMPLETELY volunteer. I walked the tiller up one side and down the other of the patch from last year and then put fence stakes in and wove twine back and forth. I didn't do anything to start them.
    Hummer, these tomatoes are all determinates so they won't be sprawling all over, just need a good sturdy stake in the ground for them.

hummerbum likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Hummer--are you planning to grow your toms in the ground or in a container?

hummerbum likes this.
  10. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks Carolyn and Sjoerd...I think in the tire from this year and I'm planning on ordering those huge cloth grow bags early January for them and some other veggies!! Will be too heavy for anyone to grab without anyone noticing!! But i will start the seeds indoors and grown under the lights.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good luck this year. Lets hope that the sticky-fingered folks will pass you up this time. I really cannot understand that sort of behaviour.

carolyn and hummerbum like this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I have a question....are there any tomatoes that can be grown solely indoors...I know the tiny ones may do well inside (I think).

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Here I do not know many folks that grow their toms inside, but those that do all use the small, cherry-type toms. I have the feeling that if there were other sorts that were also suited for growing inside, it would have advertised especially.

Having said that Hummer, why not run a little experiment and try growing another sort inside and see how it goes. You could get a sack of soil that has fertilizer already mixed in with it, stand it up near the window and see if it would work.
    I have grown toms like this and it worked fine, but that was out on my balcony. They should also work inside, I should think. Where you live is warm and humid, so It may work well when you keep the soil sack at the sunniest window in the house. Let me know how this works if you try it...or if you want more info on how to do it, just ask.

hummerbum likes this.
  14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks Sjoerd...I planned on trying again...remember the ones that were supposed to be patio tomatoes ended up growing 6 ft tall...lol. I definitely will be more selective this year..I have my tomato catalog..lmbo. I will let you know how they turn out!!

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes, I do remember those big ones that you grew.
    I am quite excited to see how they turn out this year.
    BTW mate---what does "Imbo" mean?

hummerbum likes this.
  16. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Laugh my butt off

Sjoerd likes this.