What was your reaction the first time you tasted Stevia

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by Shawchert, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

This is the very first year I have heard of or even tasted Stevia. Yeah I probably live under a rock I know!! Anyway I was quite surprised at the taste when the merchant had me try it and I had to buy it, because it is delicous and a great sweetener!!

I had my brother skeptically try it as well and the look on his face was priceless. I wondered if I had the same look when I tried it, that of bewilderment that a plant that looks like any other could taste like mild sugar! The earth and its creations are a wonder!!

How did you react to your first taste?

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Nope! I don't like the taste of it.

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Commercial preparations claiming to be stevia may have very little of that plant in them from a video I saw by Dr Oz. Apparently, artificial sweetners are do more harm than good. If you actually get pure stevia from the healthfood store or your own plants, that is likely much better.

Artificial sweetners tend to upset my stomach a lot, so no, I do not even use the stevia even though it is a plant. Getting the pure stuff [or even the commercial ones that are cut with other chemicals] is quite pricey.

4. donm

donm In Flower

Last week I went to a show in Lancaster County. We stopped at a General Store in Bird-in-Hand, PA. I bought a Stevia plant for $.99. It is "leggy". I plan to take cuttings to bring inside. Here in Zone 5 it is an annual. I've read on the internet that some Stevia plants taste better than others.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from donm's Garden )

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have been to Bird-in-Hand, PA. It is only a hop, skip and a jump from Reading, and my grandparents lived near Lancaster for a time.

6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I visit that area often. I an hour and half from there. My favorite place to hang out especially in nice weather.