Whats wrong with my geraniums?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, May 17, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I give up on planting in containers!! No matter how much I try, I end up killing most of my plants. I have never been able to have a good looking container garden :(
    I thought Geraniums are easy to grow in containers. But look how distressed they look in mine. They have brown leaves. I had ordered a bare root hibiscus and I wanted to have something in the same container to fill it up till the hibiscus starts growing. But my healthy looking geraniums are starting to wilt 2 days after I put them in the container. The geraniums were in the little nursery pots and they looked healthy. Now the container I planted them in is in my front yard. We have had >50F temperature consistently, so I left them out. There have been some showers too. Is there anything I need to do to get a good bloom? Will these even survive?

[​IMG]
    geraniums ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tina, there is a condition called "transplant shock" that most plants undergo when moved from a small pot to a larger one, or to the ground. It looks as if the yellowed leaves are the older ones, which would be normal.
    Did you get them from a nursery where they had been inside a greenhouse or under shade cloth? If so, they are adjusting to the different conditions (fluctuating temperatures, sunlight, wind). I always assume that nursery plants need hardening off, even if I buy them from a rack outside (only the top rack gets sunlight and wind--all the others are shaded and protected.)
    Be patient and make sure the geraniums get sufficient moisture but don't keep them soggy, and if they are in hot sun you may want to shade them for a few days so they can adjust.
    I truly think they will be all right.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

They like to dry out between waterings too :p

My neighbor lady taught me to use "Up Start" or "Start Up" from miracle grow when I transplant. I think it is just a bunch of B vitamins but it really helps prevent the shock.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Tina, I've never had any luck with geraniums. Our climate is on the whole might be too cool and wet. Even when we do get warm it is like 5 minutes before we are back down into the 50's. if you have a sunny all season porch the geraniums have more of a chance unless you have a sunny, protected location under the eaves. I hope you have better lucky than I do with geraniums, but I have seen some lovely ones on sunny decks.

Things that do well for me are impatients, petunias (if I keep slug baiting weekly with sluggo) snapdragons, coneflowers. For trailers calibrachoa (comes in pink, purple & white and bacopa (sutera cordata)multiple colors also. Nasturtium and calendula are pretty full proof for me in the ground, mixed results in pots. Don't be afraid to try grasses. I have multiple pots with clearance dalias, lilies and divided grasses that I am hoping will look good in a few weeks. With miracle grow moisture control potting soil I have the best results.

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Jewell, I have had great geranium blooms. I plant them every year. Its just that I can't seem to grow them in containers.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Tina, They look normal to me. The bottom leaves tend to look like that if they have been severely stressed. They should continue to yellow and completely die off, but the rest of the plant looks fine to me and I would think it should do fine, too. Keep it a little on the dry side if you can. They prefer dry over wet feet.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    If you have a great sunny location then ask at the garden center for the best soil for pots. And like startsmom, MG and Carolyn said they just need to adjust and don't let nature over water them. I'm sure they'll look great in no time.