Whats wrong with my spider lily?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Tina, May 1, 2013.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I just moved the pot to get more sun and also added some mulch. Now suddenly I see that the leaves are turning red? This is a very special plant for me as it was given to me by my mom and I really want to save it. What could be wrong with it and what should I do to save it?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Red markings on their leaves are usually caused by poor growing conditions when they begin coming up in Spring....too much shade, too cool, wet and cold soil.

Since you just moved it to a sunny location, the markings probably were developing while it was in the shadier/colder location. From what I have read the symptoms will disappear after being in the proper growing conditions...or at least no more markings will show up on the already affected leaves or newer ones.
    But it shouldn't adversely affect the plant growth and blooming.

With mulch on the soil, be careful not to overwater it. Stick you finger into the soil to check for dryness instead of watering on a calender schedule.

4. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

That mulch may be causing a problem with nitrogen. Pots aren't really big enough to have a mulched ecosystem. Why not put this in the ground? Is it not hardy there?

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Could it be sun burn? Did you move it from indoors to outside without first aculturating it to the bright sun outdoors?