What's your worst plant color combos?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Jul 14, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

This is mine and I keep thinking 'What made me think that bright orange would go with lavenders and pinks! :eek: :crying: :shrug: :headscratch:

bad color combo bed (Medium).JPG

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mother Nature combines all the colours and then binds them with green so I don't see the hot and cool colours in your photograph offensive in any way. I love them.

Frank, stratsmom and 2ofus like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

2OF--Meid, I have to agree with Eileen on this one. Mother Nature can be a fickle Princess, that is for sure. However, I doubt that she has ever read a book or heard from a garden designer telling her what colours go or don't go together.

A person's individual preferences, likes or dislikes is one thing...but natural combinations are another. If you do not find these flower combinations lovely in your garden, then that is it. I think that anyone can respect another's opinion on such things. Having said that, I must agree with Eileen in saying that your choices in the picture above suit me down to the ground. I love it.

Perhaps I have been too headstrong in choosing the flower planting style in my own garden. My focus is on what pollinators like firstly. Next is fragrance. Third is choosing what I think an attractive flowering plant is.I tend to plant willy-nilly, but I am happy with that. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you like.

That's my take on what I saw in your piccy up above. I applaud your work.:sete_005:

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Two... I grew flowers for cutting this year. Needless to say you don't know exactly what color you are going to get when they bloom. I have these BEAUTIFUL gold rudbeckias in a row but nothing to really match them. in the next row are "cherry brandywine"? rudbeckias with nothing to make a bouquet to match them either... My flower garden isn't for showy looks but to take to the markets so I try to grow a spectrum of colors but it is really easy to "miss" something to contrast or complement a another flower when you are planting from tags or descriptions and think "that will be okay together" until you actually see it. If you don't like it don't do it next year again.... I had a market tonight and happened to snap a few pics... 100_2223.JPG
    the only thing to put with them was a blue statice. not a great picture since it was in full sun, but you can see there just isn't anything to go in the bouquet.

Sometimes we have hits and sometimes we have misses, but I do think yours is fine together.

Cayuga Morning and 2ofus like this.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nevermind the fact that I do not like Pink.....I think Orange and Purple are gorgeous together. Before I stopped making quilts I had collected fabrics to make myself a quilt using Orange, Green and Purple fabrics.
    And like the others, what Mother Nature would put together in the wild let no man consider to be ugly.

Cayuga Morning and 2ofus like this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I'm really glad I posted this and that I have been given such good advise. I won't be making any changes in the planting other than the flowers in the kettle next year. The clematis only blooms a few weeks then the tall white lilies and orange tiger lilies take over.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I love all the colour combos myself. To quote from Sjoerd ;) "I tend to plant willy-nilly" myself too and I don't see Mom Nature clashing. I love the mix of colours especially when they're all held together by green.

AND - @2ofus - WHERE did you find that lovely pot you have hanging? THAT definitely looks like a terrific find!

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It is a cast Iron kettle that is well over 100 years old. I have 2 of them that at one time belonged to Mikes grandparents.

Frank and Islandlife like this.
  10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The pot is beautiful. Lots of history and still doing a job. Lovely :)

Frank likes this.
  11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think it looks great! I'd like to see a picture when the lilies open :)

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I tend toward the pastel colors in flowers--my husband likes bold and beautiful (is that why he married me?). The orange, really hot pink, and yelling-yellow zinnias are his favorites. I like my gently yellow roses and the not-too-bold red roses. We combine the two tastes and our gardens are colorful, to say the least!
    The worse combo we ever planted was an unknown orange annual, in front of pink zinnias. It was perfectly awful!

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love every color in the garden....Very pretty picture.

14. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

In order to be happy, plant tall snapdragons of various colors throughout your existing flowers. The snapdragons will make a dramatic difference.
    :sing::smt045:sing::smt045:sing::headbang::sing::headbang::sing:

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

2, I like your planting as it is. But, if you want to ease the color transition, I think Petronius's idea is a good one. I also like that beautiful kettle, the rounded shape, and the two wrought iron circles behind it, echoing the round shape. Very nice.

Petronius likes this.
  16. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Brown unless it is a trunk or a branch.