When could I start planting my annuals?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Heather1984, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Heather1984

Heather1984 New Seed

Hi! I am in the middle part of Ohio. I was wondering when I could start planting my annuals?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We are in zone 5 but you have micro climates to work around too. Possum Run Rd in Richland County? is the coldest spot in Ohio on a regular basis but go up by the lake and it is more temperate or down south farther... much warmer, but I don't plant out without the anticipation of having to cover ever until June 1st. The earlier you start the more you have to babysit the plants. we had a freeze last May on the about the 15th. I think the frost date for us is about may 15th, but we have had frost much later than that on a regular basis (so much for all the global warming).

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Around here we buy the things we want and keep it in the garage until the weather warms...otherwise everything is picked over and you can't find what you want...Our freeze is late too , not sure of the date.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That's a good idea Sherry.
    I have read that if you surround your tender transplants with 2 litre bottles of water, you can put plants out before the last frost date. Of course who would want to surround their petunias with coke bottles!??

But I do think I will experiment with this by planting a tomato or 2 surrounded by bottles of water. I'll see how they do & compare them to tomatoes Put out after the last frost date.

Guess I am channeling @Jerry Sullivan here.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

CM... that is pretty much the same concept as the wall-o-waters.and those work very well.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, that is what I thought. Thanks Carolyn. I'll try it with a couple of tomatoes.

Philip Nulty likes this.