When is the best time to transplant my plant to a different location?.

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sharalyn Anderson, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Sharalyn Anderson

Sharalyn Anderson New Seed

I made a post a few weeks ago about how I found ground cherry plants in my garden right next to my cantaloupe and needed to relocate them. At what point Is it safe to?.
    They are still small yet, so would it be fine to do so now?.
    How do I go about doing it so I won't hurt the plant etc.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What is your USDA zone? How small is small? Any chance you could post a photo of them....sometimes if they do not have their second set of leaves it is too soon to move.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Sharalyn, can you tell if the roots are intertwined? If so, you might hurt your cantaloupes. You could try moving one & see how it does. If you decide to do this, I would suggest you water it well the day before, & transplant it the next morning. It should be less stressed then. I have had good luck moving plants at less than optimal times by being careful about watering & providing shade for the plants after the move. Do you have a beach umbrella or some kind of cover you could shade it with? It will need air circulation, so not a plastic tub (that would "cook" the plant if it is in the sun!).

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

5. Sharalyn Anderson

I wasn't getting any replies from my last post and so I just transplanted them hoping I would do it well. They were very small. Like a few baby leaves on them small. I planted them and they seem to be doing alright. The roots were not yet large enough to intertwine with the cantaloupe. I pulled the whole plant and the roots with it and planted the whole thing. I then watered the garden. The same day it looked wilted and bad but by the next day it perked right up. They seem to be doing alright now. I will keep you posted guys.

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This sounds like good news. I have never heard of anyone transplanting this plant in the summer, so I shall be quite interested to learn how it progresses. It sounds like the plant is doing well already, but I would still give it some additional water at least every week for a while to get it through this very sensitive time.

Good work so far...chapeau!

7. Sharalyn Anderson

The baby one that was super small didn't fare so well, it quickly died after transplant. All the other ones are doing well though.

If the one that I found just recently by my mesclun and transplanted fares well, I will have a total of 11 ground cherries.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2015
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

......all-in-all, it sounds like a success story. Now for the harvest. Good luck.

Sharalyn Anderson likes this.
  9. Sharalyn Anderson

Now I just have to figure out why my tomato plants are coming Down with either diseases or fungus. See my other posts for more details and photos.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have not seen any posts about your toms with disease. Are they under this section, or another section? Oh hang on....they are in the Disease forum. Right. I can't say that I recognize what your tom plants are presenting. I did notice that your soil looked awfully sandy. Is that right?

Toms need a pretty rich soil with lots of compost and "structure". I am wondering if they are getting enough nutrition. If the soil is too loose the watering will just drain too quickly away. Compost and soil with some structure will help hold water and water with food for them.

Do you have some new foto's of the process going on there?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  11. Sharalyn Anderson

Here are my tomatoes and this is the effect the fungal spray had on them. They were presenting black spot, and I got a spray for 3 in 1, helps with fungus, bugs and what not. It made things worse even though I followed the directions completely. Yes, I kept watering because my soil is Sandy. I added compost this year but it dries up from being watered so fast. I can't find a balance between watering perfectly and watering to much, it is so hard to tell. Yes, the post was in the disease portion of the forum, but I will add the photos here for you to Check out. I need to know what to do.

What do you think is going on with them and what can I do to help them get better?.

The second to the last photo is of my cantaloupe, they are being effected with some thing too. Last photo is of the spray I used.

I'm your opinion, can one still consume and can, tomatoes affected from plants like this?. I don't want to loose all my dozen toms to this what ever it is. I put a lot of time and effort into these guys and I really want to reap a good harvest.

This year's harvest took a beating from bad hail when they were babies, so I don't know if that messed up anything, but ever since, it has been getting bad. The only thing I am doing different from last year is watering more often, but the tomatoes need lots of water and my soil like I said, dries FAST.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That spray. I had a look at the info label on the back ( http://1274ym4fbva545shrh1giu44.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/3-1-rtu-label.pdf ) and I saw that when using it for toms, it says that it is not to be used for young tom plants. I do not know how old your plants were when you sprayed them. I also saw that it was meant to be used against powdery mildew and a variety of insects.

I had a good look at all of the foto's that you showed. I did not see any signs of powdery mildew, nor did I see any clear signs of insect infestation. I wonder if that stuff was a good or necessary thing to use on your toms.

What I did see were the crispy brown edges of some leaves. I believe this to be from drying. Drying primarily due to lack of adequate moisture, I believe.

On foto 0405 - 2 I saw some yellow leaves at the bottom of the plant. They were some of the first leaves. They have done their job, which was to get the plant larger and may be dying. That isn't so bad because the plant is making more leaves to replace the yellow ones.

I saw the soil and it appears to be inadequate for your toms. Inadequate in terms of nutrition and an inadequate ability to hold moisture.

In that first foto I noticed that there was some discolouration of the plant's leaves. there was some yellowing and some darkish places. There are a number of things that could have been causing this...or a combination of things causing it. I cannot tell clearly the reason, but I suspect that it is due to dryness and perhaps some cool and maybe even wetish weather conditions. Toms like heat, they do not need sun, but they need heat...day and night. I am wondering if the plants didn't have some coolish weather at some point.

This is all well and good to know, but I am not sure what you can do to alter the course of your tom's development. I do not know where you live, so I do not know your climatic conditions. I suspect that it is quite different than the climatic conditions in my country though.

I believe that the central point in growing veggies is the soil, and as I have said above it doesn't look as though yours is adequate, but of course I could be completely wrong. Forming any certain opinions from this distance is difficult for me. I do notice that the upper leaves of your plants look better than the lower ones. The plants may be bouncing back.

I think that you you ought to do the best you can with them and see how they do, but before next growing season if you have the time and the means, supplement your soil with more compost and some bagged garden soil. Do you compost your own garden and kitchen waste? If you do, use some of this compost along with commercial compost to improve your soil.

If you are not aware of many facts about soil and its consistency perhaps you could do a bit of reading . You could begin by reading this little article that I wrote on my website: http://www.volkstuindersvereniginghoornenomstreken.nl/Page18.html

I have to say that I have never seen plants like yours...their condition, that is. I am really hoping that you can have a turn around and eventually harvest some toms.

Frank and Sharalyn Anderson like this.
  13. Sharalyn Anderson

I live in Minnesota, North Branch to be specific. We had bad hail, bad rain and wind this season. I water every other day because even though I mixed compost in there, it is dry and gets sucked up in the soil very quickly. I do notice that black spot or what ever it is on the grass and weeds surrounding the garden as well. So it may be just our yard. I wish you could come over to my place and tell me what was wrong lol.

Or I wish I could take a video and share it with you. Because I need to know what to Do. When I get time I will definitely read that post you did.

Maybe I shouldn't have done anything with my toms and just left it alone but unfortunately these spots that were black and sometimes Brown were going from one leaf to the next. I was afraid it was becoming diseased or something.

Oh and my toms are almost three months old I think or at least two months. The tom wiring you can get, most of them are at least half way up that wire in height and growing big and strong despite the weird leaves.

Do you suggest I add some more compost to the top layer of soil and kinda work it in around the plants?. Weird I know, but I am desperate not to loose these toms.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  14. Sharalyn Anderson

Just looked out there today after the rain and realized the yellowing of the leaves is climbing up one of the tomato plants ugh.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya.
    All those yellow leaves and branched can be removed, as they are contributing nothing to the progress and welfare of the plant. The plants need to concentrate on making more leaves and flowers...and enlarging any fruits that have already formed.

All this leaf yellowing may well be due to the rain that you have had so much of lately. It is difficult for me to get a good understanding of your plant sit.

Personally, I do not believe that it was necessary to have sprayed your toms with that 3-in-1 stuff. Ach--but it has been done, and I do not think that it has harmed your plants.

It sounds as if your toms are growing along fine. BTW--Are your plants inside a greenhouse or outside?...I cannot recall if you have said. The season is coming along now and over here it is well over the half. I have topped my toms and so further vertical growth stopped. They are concentrating on ripening the toms that have already formed.

I realize and understand that you do not want to loose your tom plants and harvest; however, if they have not yet formed any blossoms or fruits, I am beginning to wonder if you will have any at all...it is so late. Look--just let your plants continue what they are doing and keep them fed and watered and see what happens. Next year you will need to make a tom bed in a different place and you have all winter to get that ground into shape. We can talk again later about how to do that.

In the meantime, just send or post any pics that you want with an explanation of what I they are showing and we can talk about what we think your plants are doing.

Sharalyn Anderson likes this.
  16. Sharalyn Anderson

I have my vegetables outside without any protection and as I learned the hard way this year, I need some sort of protection next year like a green house. I will go outside some time later today if I have time and remover all the yellow leaves. I noticed some of my cucumber leaves are beginning to do the same. Man, I cannot win. However, on my tomato plants, I have fruit growing. Yellow flowers and tomatoes, one of the early harvest toms has a tomato about the size of a golf ball all green and looking good. All the rest are a bit smaller on all the other plants.
    In your opinion, will it still be safe to consume these fruits despite the condition of the plants?. Parts of the plant look bad and the other parts absolutely healthy.

So you think I need to change my location for the garden?. That will be EXTREMELY difficult as the place it is at now is really the only place it will get full sunlight. Everywhere else, it won't. Is there another way?.

I thought I would do better this year as compared to last year when I did my garden very late. Unfortunately I have been plagued with all sorts of issues and I am almost ready to call it good and buy from a market next year. Because of this garden, I got a really bad first degree burn on my back, delt with the horrible storms and worried my head off/had to deal with this black spot issue.

I just find it weird that my tomato plants are affected, ground cherries are not, green onions are not, green beans are not, carrots are not, spinach and other greens are not, peppers are not but the cucumbers and a few leaves off my cantaloupe are. Is that weird or what?. Starting to think it may not be the soil.

I am not a pro gardener by any means but it is becoming stressful. All I want to do is harvest all my hard work and dedication to feed my family for the rest of the year. I do not to have lost this all. I have a family of 6 who would seriously benefit from this harvest and I fear, if I don't watch it, I may loose it all.

I will keep an eye on it and do my very best to keep up with it etc. But it is making me sad.

Thank you sjoerd

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015