When to plant your potatoes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Tooty2shoes, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I was reading an article in a book, or magazine about when to plant your potatoes. The article said that you should plant your potatoes when the leaves on the Oak trees are the size of---are you ready for this----mouse ears. Really!
    Has anyone else heard of that suggestion. I have been watching our Oak trees very carefully. Now if I can only get a mouse to hold still long enough to measure it's ears.:D

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am out of luck down here then, the most plentiful Oak in my neighborhood is the Live Oak. They are evergreen and it's leaves never get much larger than a rats ear.
    I would guess though that a recommendation like that would come from a time period when mice were very common in houses, barns and running around the yard so people were more familiar with the size of their ears without having to measure them.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Perhaps each settlement or community had a designated "mouse ear measurer." Quite possibly it was the person who had the most cats:)!.
    I also love the old recipes that tell you to put in a lump of butter "the size of a walnut." I've gotten over the "pinch of salt" thing--I just substitute 1/8 teaspoon of salt (in a pinch).

Tooty2shoes and Henry Johnson like this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni those live Oaks are awesome trees. I'll let you know when our Burr oaks have mouse sized ears if that will help. I had a good chuckle as I read you post.

Marlin--You are just to funny. I never heard of a lump of butter in a recipe. I always chuckle when someone says that they made it from scratch. Hummmmm, so what exactly is scratch. The only scratch I know refer's to chicken feed. :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Plant your potato's on Good Friday for a good crop. Alternatively, plan when you want to harvest and plant accordingly.

marlingardener likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I plant my potatoes when we get the garden ready and not before. I had new potatoes for dinner tonight. with a lump of butter and a pinch of salt. :)

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

A lump of butter the size of a walnut (english not black) is about 2 tablespoons.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

We are supposed to plant on St Patricks day. Peas and potatoes. Well, Kevin go the peas in but the potatoes are still awaiting.... we just haven't had the weather until this last few days and I haven't gotten the time to til and plant. Maybe Saturday. The doctors are closed and we have no appointments for that day.

10. CJay

CJay In Flower

I've always been told either good Friday or Easter Sunday around here.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

There are no Oak trees in my area but I've been told to plant potatoes when the lilacs start to bloom.
    My Grandmother and Mom always measured teaspoons and tablespoons by pouring the salt or spices into their cupped palm. That's the way I was taught but using measuring spoons, I found, was much more accurate.;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The term 'scratch' I believe began in the 18th Century and was a sporting term for beginning a race or other sport with no advantages to help you out, i.e. being weaker or shorter and therefore starting the race sooner than the others. Later it became a cooking term "made from scratch" meaning cooking or baking without any pre-made ingredients like a cake mix, canned icing or store bought pie crust.

My grandmother never owned a measuring cup, she used a tea cup for any quantity that had the word 'cup' in it. 1/4th cup was half of half the cup, etc. Also, I don't remember ever seeing her use measuring spoons...a pinch was just that 'a pinch'.

13. CJay

CJay In Flower

That's probably why I'm so poor at baking. I never measure anything. I know what I like and can gauge how much I need to add based off asking whoever is eating with me how they like it. I don't follow recepies or directions I just cook to taste. If im marinating or brining something before cooking it I just add to smell.

Way off topic. But here's a butt after 10 hours of smoking. My preferred way to cook.

[​IMG]

14. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I could get along right good with you..................just took two shoulders out the smoker yesterday

CJay likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

I do not measure either and can bake or cook most anything but I had a Grandmother and Mother like Toni`s. They taught me how to do it. Only thing I can not reproduce in my kitchen is my Grandmothers Chess pie. Hers was almost like candy in a pie shell. I make mine exactly the same way with the same ingredients but neither mine nor my sister in laws turns out the same as hers. But I think it may be because back then we used fresh milk and home churned butter. The added fat/flavor may be the reason ours does not turn out the same as hers.

16. CJay

CJay In Flower

That makes sense. Ingredients make all the difference.