when to sow Parsley seeds

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by petals, Nov 18, 2011.

1. petals

petals Seedling

I recently got a little pack and container of Parsley seeds. Can I sow these now, or is it best to wait until spring.I do have a cold greenhouse so they would not be outside. thank you for any advice

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Parsley is a cold/cool weather plant, so why not plant half the seed now, and half in early spring? Your cold greenhouse should be an ideal environment for it.
    Here in Texas we plant parsley in late Sept. or early Oct. for a fall crop, and again in February for the spring. Our parsley is usually done by mid-to-late June when the heat gets to be too much for it.

Frank likes this.
  4. petals

petals Seedling

Thank you for your reply, that is a good idea to start some now and
    leave the rest until later. This I will do tomorrow.

5. Meadow Walker

Meadow Walker New Seed

I grow parsley year round. I realize this might be difficult with gardeners who deal with high humidity and 100 degree temperatures.

Parsley, curled or flat leaf: I like the curly for salads and for making soups. The flat leaf has a more intense flavor and is best for pasta sauces and marinades. Raw or cooked, parsley is high in vitamin C and A.

Cultivation requirements are the same for both curled and flat leaf.

Best climate and site: Zones - 5-9. Full sun to partial shade.

Soil conditions: Rich, well- drained soil. Parsley likes a sweet soil, with a pH between 5.5- 6-7. If your plants didn't do well in the past, sweeten the soil a little where you'll be planting them in the spring. Late January would be ideal to turn the beds over and work in some dolomitic lime and compost.

I start the seed indoors. I use the small peat cups and seed starter mix, which is light and full of nutrients to get the seedlings off to a good start. I fill the cups about 2/3 of the way with the mix, and wet it until the peat cups are very moist. I sow about 3 or 4 seeds per cup. Don't cover them. Lightly mash the seeds into the soil. Cover the cups with plastic wrap, and place them in a warm area to germinate.

Another idea is to soak the seed overnight in a moist paper towel. Wet the towel, fold it over, sprinkle 10-15 parsley seeds on it, fold the towel again, and place it in a zip loc bag. When you're ready to sow the seeds, remove them from towel, and use the method described above. Once the seedlings appear, remove the plastic wrap and place the peat cups in a warm, sunny window. Mist daily, and keep the soil moist.

Parsley does not transplant well. When it's time to plant them in the garden, or planter, remove the bottom of the peat cup, and plant the cup along with the parsley. This will prevent damage to the tap root.

Parsley is a biennial, producing most of its growth the first season, and going to seed the following season. Once the umbels appear [ tiny, seed heads ] the parsley will slow down in growth and become bitter and strong tasting. I treat parsley plants as annuals and have new plants ready each spring.

Harvest: Cut the leaf stalks at the base for fresh parsley all summer. Hang in bunches to dry indoors, or freeze it whole or chopped in zip loc bags.

Advertisement
  6. BWB

BWB New Seed

Parsley takes a while to germinate so don't give up. I think in
    BC it would grow well in a cold frame or next to the house. Once it goes to flower it isn't good so either let it go to seed or throw it out.

Frank likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Since it is biennial I throw seeds on the ground early spring, March or April, then forget about it for two years. It will die back if temps get in the 20`s but returns in spring. I have not had a problem in Texas heat.