Where are my garden slugs?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Where are the slugs when you need one? I have several experiments and I need some 'volunteer slugs to participate. I have turned over countless logs and rocks....no slugs :-( The search continues. I wonder if the slugs found out about the experiments? Maybe I will not have slugs this year.

Wanted: Several slugs to participate in a garden experiment. A stipend of edible green munchies and a dark place to sleep during the day followed by a one way ticket(world travel) far away from here. Still no volunteers. :-(

Jerry

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

:-D What is your experiment? We all want to know if it's that successful....

Come to think about it when I cleaned the greenhouse out I only saw 1. That is strange. They love it out there.

Jerry.....did your experiment work at my house too? You must be 6 hours from me. You just may be able to rid the whole USA of slugs soon...Keep it up.

4. Jerry Sullivan

I'm beginning to get a complex. What? My garden is not tasty enough? Hmmm....I wonder if my neighbor has my slugs? Maybe if I put just a little beer in a saucer the slugs would just get drunk and not find their way home. I will search again this morning. I wonder if slugs have a 'season'? Do we need a slug census? Ooooh :eek: I wonder if we are on to something like disappearing frogs, bats and bees?
    Time to crank up the google engine. Putt, putt, putt, putter, putter, search.

Jerry

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Well Jerry, If they have that much to drink maybe they would not be able to participate in your experiment. You will have to sober them up a little before you begin. :rofl:

Advertisement
  6. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I think they all made their way to my garden! Darn things keep getting into my seedlings sitting on my porch. Theyve defoliated some of my mint cuttings, but I think theyll survive...feel free to come take them away! The slugs, that is ;)

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now that you mention slugs Jerry I've realised I've seen very few here in Scotland. Usually I'm introducing them to my size eight shoes on a regular basis. Maybe it's because we're having an unusually long spell of dry weather?? I just hope they don't all come out and run amok in my garden when it does start to rain.

8. Jerry Sullivan

I again searched for slugs this morning, turning over several logs and rocks. The only thing I disturbed were a few ants, Not even a salamander. :-( I will wait another two weeks before hunting again. Other projects wait in the wings so I will not be bored. Is a gardener ever bored? My google search did turn up an interesting creature. Killer slugs!! Found in Europe they originate on the Iberian peninsula. They have not figured how to cross the big pond. :)

Jerry

9. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I know where they are Jerry: they're in our compost bins!! We figure that at least they aren't eating my plants so they can stay there!

Hope you finally get your 'volunteers'.