Where is the best place to grow herbs, ground or pots ? help

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by wannab3gardener, Jul 8, 2010.

1. wannab3gardener

wannab3gardener New Seed

[​IMG]
    i need to transfer this soon ( photo / image / picture from wannab3gardener's Garden )

[​IMG]
    my pots are all different.It looks nasty.Do you use the same style and color pot ( photo / image / picture from wannab3gardener's Garden )

[​IMG]
    i have this old pots but still not sure if i should put my herbs there ( photo / image / picture from wannab3gardener's Garden )

[​IMG]
    i have those little space in between the trees too ( photo / image / picture from wannab3gardener's Garden )

[​IMG]
    should I plant my new herbs here or put them in a pot ? ( photo / image / picture from wannab3gardener's Garden )
    Where is the best place to grow herbs and what are the advantages of growing them in the ground or in pots ?

Also Could oyu Please help me what to do with the vacant areas and to all the gardeners here, do you always use the same style and color for your pots or it's always different ? Thanks for any answers.

2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wannab3gardener you have a beautiful area for gardening. Since you have very little ground area I don't think you should have pots there photo 2. Place the pots on a concrete area on stands and you will get more ground planting area. :)

For me my pots are all of different styles and colours. As long as the pot fit my purpose I'll make use of it, moreover my pots are all given to me by gardeners who do not want them anymore. No I do not think that your pots look nasty as a matter of fact different style and color pots make the whole place more interesting. Do remember when chosing pots it had to first fit your purpose and most of all you yourself must like it. :)

As for the herbs I would plant them in your last photo on the terrace where Frank :oops: sorry :D or the dwarf is. Usually herbs need plenty sunlight so I think if that place gets about 4 hours of sunshine, it would be fine.

Happy Gardening :D

4. wannab3gardener

wannab3gardener New Seed

thank you so much for the quick response. I have been browsing the site looking for other's garden and containers. I really do think that my containers or pots look a little off because they are all different.

do you really thing I should put those herbs in that area in the backyard ? I am kinda concern if they would grow so much and would look weird later on. I thought planting them on pots would make it easier to manage. What do you think ? I was thinking of planting pretty flowers on the area where the dwarf is located. hmm what to do ??? :-D

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

For me I would but the final decision is entirely up to you :) Yes planting them in pots would make it easier to manage.

Planting pretty flowers is also a great idea, most important of all is follow your heart :-D and I am sure everything will turn out great. :D

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

You can use any kind of pot or container that your heart desires! There are no rules, or right way to do it. :stew2:
    You have a nice selection of plants there. I think I would put flowers under that tree in the brick, and then mulch over the planting bed.
    I like to plant annual herbs in containers, the perennials, I prefer to put in the ground in a permanent spot.
    What zone is your area? I have no knowledge of gardening in Japan, so it's interesting to learn.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

If you have some concern about how much sun they will get during the day, then planting them in larger pots so they could be moved around the yard as the sun moves would be the way to go.
    If you have an area that gets the 6+ hours of full sun that they need, then in the ground is yet another option but not something that you have to do.

The choice of matching planters is up to you, personally I don't have pots that match in shape, size or color. I like the variety, I think it gives the garden some personality. And I like to use unusual containers for planters, most of which I find at thrift stores so I can spend less money on planters and more on plants. ;)

But if you want a more formal look, then planters of the same or coordinated size/color/shape would be best.

8. gardentoad

gardentoad Seedling

Most herbs need a lot of sun and it is difficult to tell what areas you have that get a lot of sun. I do have thyme growing in a light shady area with only a couple hours of direct sun and it looks good. It would look nice under that trees spilling over the edges of the tiers.

I keep most of my herbs just outside the kitchen door . Some in the ground and some in large pots. If I'm cooking I can just step right outside and cut what I need. When I had them planted further away, a lot of times ended up using what I had dried rather than run out into the back yard after the fresh, especially after dark when I would need a flashlight to see.

I use large pots that don't dry out as fast. I don't know your weather so you might not have that problem.
    Most of what I grow would get leggy if it is not cut regularly. Even if you don't need it at the moment, you have to pinch and trim most herbs to keep them tight bushy plants and to help keep them from bolting(forming seeds) Annual plants die after they produce their quota of seeds.
    Some herbs will drop seeds and return for you the following year. I plant dill, fennel, parsley and cliantro/coriander in the ground and let them reseed so I have new plants the following year. The fennel though, can come up everywhere so I have to rip a lot of it out when it sprouts or remove many seeds as they form. I let it grow in flower areas to feed the swallowtail butterfly caterpillars.

I find the use of different sizes , colors and shapes of pots more interesting.

I keep my rosemary in a large pot so I can move it indoors for the winter. It is not hardy in my climate.

9. wannab3gardener

wannab3gardener New Seed

Thank you so much for all the helpful comments. I am really learning so much from all of you :-D
    It is Summer season here in Japan right now and it is too hot and humid here lately. Although, it has been raining a lot also these past few days. My thyme doesn't look very happy at the moment, but I am hoping it would survive.

I decided to plant begonias and Marigold to the brick area in the backyard. And Kay thanks for the comment and idea. I have to research about the mulch.

Thanks again everyone. :stew1: