Where to begin designing this garden?

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by lexxivexx, Apr 2, 2008.

1. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Okay, so most of you know that my gardening is mostly limited to aspiration and admiration... maybe a little perspiration too. Anyways, a big ol' oppourtunity was recently dumped in my lap and I'm full of ideas, but have NO CLUE what to do with em'. I'm so sorry but this is going to be long:

Papa dearest has not only permitted me to use his backyard for my veggies, flowers and herbs this year, but wants me to "do something" with the entire space. How's that for specifics? He mentioned English garden, but he's open to anything as long as it's "cool". The most important part is low-maintenance for him, since he's only got 1 day off a week. I intend on being able to get out here at least twice a week indefinitely.

Awful angles, but I'm vertically challenged, forcing me to hold the camera above my head:
    (Facing Northeast)
    [​IMG]

On the North side of the deck he wants a cobblestone "sunning area" put in, hopefully soon so I know what I'm working with.

Fire away with questions if it helps you help me
    :-D

2. Loading...

3. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

I realized that this post didn't have a specific question, lol.

Okay, we're getting rid of the grass and I'm thinking about lots of perennials and shrubbery. Somewhere I'd like to put raised stone beds (there are tiny ones by the windows if you can see em') but in a descending triple "stairway" or "steps", if that translates at all from my vision. A stone path somewhere? But where should I start? Should I decide on larger plants first and tie it all together as I go, or plan the whole shebang right off?

I suspect it will take a few years to get it done and a few more years for everything to grow in nice, which is why I'm having a hard time committing to set-it-stone plans, but I don't want to get too intimidated and not finish it. :-D Has anyone been there?

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I have been there, but I'm afraid I can't give you any specifics as to how to start. We started by some existing flower borders and just worked our way out from there. Afterwards we've spent lots of time moving the plants about, because they weren't put where we ought to have put them.

I believe the smartest thing to do, is placing the stone features first and plant once they're done.

Are you planning on acid-soil plants or plants with special soil requirements? Do you want any ground cover in there somewhere? What kind of shrubs are you thinking of? I think I envy you just slightly.

5. Joann

Joann Seedling

I love the space you have to work with! I'd make it one big courtyard..assuming it's fenced on all sides? Lets see..you could do border flower beds along the house, deck, and fence. Curvy borders, not straight. A couple island beds here and there. Any room for small ornamental trees? Then do meandering paths throughout the entire space out of pea gravel and flagstone. I'd also do more steps off the deck..maybe on all three sides that lead to the garden. Looks like the deck isnt all that high..maybe some stone steps? Looks like you have your work cut out for you but it could definately look "cool" : )

Advertisement
  6. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

I also have a huge space to plant this year (all new). What I'm doing is making a master plan, size, shape, border. Then I have so many flowers/plants picked out that I've made a binder of them. I'll pick so many this year and then add to it over the next couple. I'll put stuff in so there won't be any big bare spots but there will be bare spots and just keep adding until I feel it's right. My current garden I've had in for 5 years and I just keep moving and adding stuff to it. I'm not sure either of them will ever truely be finished.

7. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Thanks so much for the ideas!

tschnath: They're never finished, are they? I'll definately get the stone features planned first, then shrubs/small trees figured out. That's a manageable master plan, woth lots of space for flowers, ofcourse! :)

Joann: I love the curvy borders and islands idea, thank you! The deck is a bit higher than it looks and it will need more steps. Dad wants an awning, but I told him it's a waste of sun :)

Droopy:
    I think a lot of the plants I'm looking at(currently, at least) like slightly acidic soil. I would like to use some shrubs native to the Northwest, like birch leaf spirea. Native ferns are a must in shady areas. Groundcovers are so hard for me to decide on, but I KNOW I want several different creeping thymes (like ruby, nutmeg, wooly and whatever I can find here).

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We've got acid soil here, and I've put down lots and lots of hostas and trilliums. Also, different kinds of Anemone nemorosa, heathers, ferns and primroses that like acid soil. Azaleas, rhododendron and conifers are good too.

9. Allison

Allison New Seed

where to start

You've got to draw it out on graph paper and plot the sun patterns. Then decide where to put some strucutre with shrubs and where you want color, etc. Remember to leave room for some casual walkways through any planting beds. Check out a few landscaping design books at a local library -- you'll get plenty of ideas. Good luck!