White deposits on my clivia

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Tina, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I placed this plant in a pot in our north west facing window. I noticed that the leaves were turning yellow (I cut off the yellow leaf) and also there are some white deposits near the buds(?). What should I do? will this harm the plant? Please help.
    Thanks.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I wonder if that could be one of the species of the pseudococcid family. Here we call them, wolluis. I do not know what you call them there.

To treat them:
    (1) You could remove them with tweezers, and/or clean the area with a Q-tip saturated with mineral oil or detergent.

(2) You could lop the useless bloom stem off and destroy it along with the parasites.

(3) Mix a small amount of kitchen salt with a bit of warm water and apply the solution with an artists' brush.
    Let it stand on the aphid-like creatures for 15 minutes and then rinse it off. Re-apply this in a couple of days if all of them are not gone.

(4) Capture 2-3 ladybird beetles outside and place them on your clivia...they will do the rest.
    once the white things are gone, then let the ladybirds go outside again.

(5) You can always use a commercial insecticide.

Good luck with this. If it is not the pseudococcid infestation....I hope that you discover what it is.

You know, if you have a simple little microscope at home, it might be fun to remove the white stuff and look at it under the microscope.

Good luck, meid.

Frank, eileen, Tina and 1 other person like this.
  4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes, it sounds like mealy bugs.I pick the ones I can see off with a tissue. Then I use rubbing alcohol on the plant and rinse in 2 days to kill the eggs.

easy-peasy....

carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yep...Mealybug. Besides washing it off, applying insecticidal remedies you can also fertilize with a plant and flower food that contains imiclodiprid (Bayer makes one for roses. It comes in a blue jug in the lawn and garden section) as long as you are not using the flowers for garnish or food(if they are edible). This is a systemic insecticide that kills the bugs as soon as they chew, suck or eat on the plant.

Advertisement
  6. Tina

Tina Young Pine

Thank you very much! I will try the treatments suggested here.

Barb - Not sure if you recognized. This is the clivia you sent me. :)

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh yes! Well, Now I must go out and look at mine.

But they are easy to get rid of. Remember to wash upper and under the leaves.