Why are my roses not blooming?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by margie12u, Aug 21, 2011.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Anyone have any ideas on why my roses aren't blooming, They are growing very tall and nice but not blooming,
    Thank you Margie :stew2:

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Have they bloomed this year Margie?
    Are they getting enough sun / water / fertilizer?

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

ROSES

I think they are Netty, I try to keep up with those things, I give them a name brand food, I can't figure it out. Yes all of them have bloomed once, They are growing beautifully and tall but No more blooms It makes me so sad :'( They all are climbing bushes, I just don't know.
    Thank you Margie

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Mine bloomed once in June and then they had a 'rest'. They are starting to bloom again now Margie. Maybe you just need to give them a little more time...

Edited to add...have you been deadheading them?

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I find that it helps to dead head them regularly and on time during the first flush and then to feed liberally in July and keep watered.
    I know that the season is winding down now, but they may still do something for you.

Have you been watering them and keeping them mulched?

It must also be noted that (here at least) it has been a very odd season, and so perhaps it is just because of the weather conditions.

7. dalmadarling

dalmadarling New Seed

Mine have been the same way. It's the first full year in my house / garden, but last year they all bloomed in late Sept into October - I was really surprised. Could be the weather, could be my location (Bay Area, CA). We've had a really cool summer, and I wonder if that affected them...

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Margie, if they have a high nitrogen fertilizer given to them they will grow nicely, but not produce any blooms. N-P-K are the 3 numbers on the label of the fertilizer, N is for nitrogen, which supports the green growth you see. P is for phosphorus which helps to produce strong sturdy plants and helps to set flower buds. K is for potassium, which is for root growth and also helps or supports the phosphoruses job. All elements are important for the health of the plant. If you are fertilizing with a high nitrogen number you won't see a lot of flowers buds ever, just lots of green growth. Miracle grow markets a ROSE fertilizer that has a high phosphorus number and makes a lot of flower growth. You may also have a variety that doesn't bloom all summer long, it could be a late bloomer which is a bummer if you are expecting blooms all summer long.

Frank likes this.