Widow Skimmer dragonfly

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Jul 5, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This is one of the few dragonflies that isn't particularly shy. If you disturb it while setting up a tripod for the camera, or just dead-heading flowers, it will fly off, then return to its original perch. Most dragonflies get huffy and leave!

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I could do with some of those dragonflies here Jane as the ones we have are so fast that they're hard to photograph. They tend to take off and disappear only returning once you move away. I've had limited success in snapping damsel and dragonflies over the years.

Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Great capture. I have minimal luck with bugs or butterflies as they typically tend to flutter off before I can get them in focus.

Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The bug and butterflies here just like to perch where you have stand on your head, climb a ladder, or lay on the ground to get a good picture. I think they just want to see what contortions you'll get in!

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Mmmm - now that you mention it I think they do that here too .... :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

That is really lovely - Dragonflys are my favourite insects - they are so agile and "aerobatic" - look so fearsome yet ours here are harmless (are the US ones?). Strange really because their larvae are just about the most fearsome (size for siz+) predators in the ponds.
    As stated though very difficult to photo- likewise I have had limited success.
    A couple of pics I did manage attached - the largest had just had a spell on a Buddlea flower and may have been a bit "squiffy" so sat there. Does the flowers scent do thjis to them does anybody know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Great photos, Syd, especially the one of the dragonfly in flight.
    I have no idea of the scent of a flower can "overcome" a dragonfly, but it seems likely. Just think what the scent of roses does for us!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane. The pics are not new - posted them quite a whiles back but glad you like them anyway.
    I love the Dragonflies and did do a Wicki on them where there is very interesting info.
    Just a couple of snippets - apparently there is 5000 different species worldwide with 450 in the US. Millions of years ago they had a wingspan of 30 inches and there is one today with wingspan of 7+ inches in Costa Rica - that must be very impressive to see.
    Best wishes and happy birthday to your husband. Syd.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@Sydney Smith - Lovely photos :) Dragon flies are definitely hard to get as they always seem to be flitting and flying about. Had no idea at all about your stats and would NOT have liked to see one coming at me with a 30" wing span. Not sure I'd like to see one with a 7" wing span.

I get them here but they don't see to be that large - 1 or 2 inches max. They mostly just hover and fly about. (No bites)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi islandlife. Always nice to natter to you. My facts I read on Wikipedia but I did also note on another site you have 80+ types of Dragonfly in BC. Ours here are harmless, biggest about 2 inches across and what appears to be a hooked "sting" on their rear end is not so - will leave you to read about it. I will look to see if any of the species do sting.
    I do love to see them flitting about with their very rapid directional changes etc - apparently this is achieved because they can operate all four wings individually. Favourite of mine was to sit by a lake and watch all the different Ma Nature things happening around - on the ground - water and airborne - theres so so much to see and hear if you want to look - so glad I have always loved it all..
    Syd.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The dragon flies we get here seem to be mostly bluish toned and not overly large either. They're most noticeable early spring soon as the weather warms up as I think that is when the hatches come out and we have lots of tiny baby ones flitting about.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi islandlife. I did look quickly and none of them can sting you but they do have powerful hooked mandibles?? to catch their prey. If you picked one up it could just give you a nip if holding its head but no problems. Again I just read this. Theres several sites telling all and worth a look. Syd.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

Hi Syd, a very interesting topic. I photograph lots of bugs and insects. Up to last year I photographed them for a garden magazine but it went bust last Dec. Here is a damselfly, different from those that rest with the wings along their backs. Northern Spreadwing, Lestes disjunctus.

spreadwing.jpg

Islandlife, Philip Nulty and eileen like this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great picture Jane,..also Sydney and Kildale,..i can never capture an image of a Dragonfly though when out in the boat Damsel Flies come aboard to rest.
    09-07-2009(1)_006.jpg

DSC05498.JPG

16. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Philip. Super pics and I have noticed theres some the same but have blue patches/blotches on their wings. Read only yesterday whilst seeking info these are Damsel flies - apart from their appearance they unlike the Dragonflies fold their wings back whilst settled. Beautiful creatures - a work of art really.Those eyes are worth reading of.
    Syd.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Philip Nulty likes this.