Will my baby succulents take root?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by lori_15, Dec 13, 2015.

1. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

i have a succulent identified as hawarthia limifolia - fairy washboard.
    i transplanted it recently as it was getting to large for the pot having 3 babies.
    i gently pulled babies away and planted them separately for my neighbor who had asked for a plant.
    only 1 baby had a bit of a root and the other two had none.
    not sure if they will take or not. i have the babies in light soil with bag over for humidity.

spiky liter.jpg

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. lori_15
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. MScds15
      Replies:
      Views:

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I do not think I would use a plastic bag with succulents. They have a tendency to rot in high humidity an/or cook inside the bag if its too hot. I would just make sure they are well pressed into the soil and keep it damp. I think they will root fine. Sometimes they have almost invisible hair like roots that we can`t see well.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes, remove the bag. Succulents root easily and just need a minimum of care--damp soil, indirect light while babies, and good air circulation to prevent rotting. Your neighbor is going to thank you!

5. 102christa

102christa Seedling

Fairy washboard!! I love it :chuckle::flower:

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have done this with the same sort of plant. I do not recall which Hawarthia it was, but I removed the plantlet and planted it in some seeding soil with a layer of sand on top. I did not use a plastic bag and it made it.

Good luck with yours, meid.

7. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

thank you all for your suggestions on not using a bag. i have removed it and will see what happens. it may take a long time for me to even notice anything different...but will leave it be and see how it looks in the fall.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

In the hopes of making you feel a bit better about removing the plastic bag.--
    You know that plant and plantlets are technically known as succulents. As you also probably know, a hallmark of succulents is that they store moisture in their leaves. They are native to an arid and hot geography...and that is why they they have evolved in this way.

Now then, the reason that one places a plastic bag over cuttings and transplants is to conserve moisture loss until the roots have begun to develop and establish. also when propagating non-succlents it is common to simply remove all leaves along the stem, leaving only the last two leaves to carry on.

The leaves of your Hawarthia already have loads of moisture in their leaves. Of course you do not want your plantlets to totally dry out, but it is in their nature to make roots and survive on the merits of their own stored moisture alone.
    It is my view that if you use a plastic bag to cover a succulent, you are then increasing the risk of fungalization of the plantlet and/or soil.

Addendum: While my main interest is gardening outside I; like most Dutch, have several houseplants. Through the years, I have had several succulents on the window sill and on bookcases. One thing that I have noticed and in fact have used as a beginning technique is to simply leave the leaves or plantlets out on the windowsill for a few days and I will then notice that small roots will begin to form. It is only then that I remove them from the bare sill and place them in soil.

There are several known propagating techniques. I expect your method to work just fine. As I said earlier, drainage is an important factor with what you are trying to do here. It is my experience that folks (including myself) have a tendency to over-water propagations. the propagating medium ought to be kept slightly moist, and never wet. Achieving this is something that comes with experience and a few failures. As I said, I have to keep an eye on myself and smack the top of my hand if I find myself reaching for that watering can.
    This method of curtailed watering also goes for germinating seeds indoors.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, that is a great tutorial on how to propagate and maintain succulent plantlets. What an informative post that will be of great use to many of us--thank you:setc_083:!

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you Marling. Actually I did not realize that the posting was especially good...just info...and an attempt to put Lori at ease. I am really glad (and proud) that you liked it though. Thanks again.

11. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

How are things going?

12. lori_15

lori_15 New Seed

things are going great with my little babies. all are happy and ready to give away.

purpleinopp and Frank like this.
  13. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Here are some pics of babies I've started recently. All of the stem cuttings were dried overnight before putting in soil. Some are leaf-edge babies that several species of Kalanchoe can make.

Lavender scallops (Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi) leaves laid on the ground a few weeks ago
    2016-04-24 063.JPG
    Burro's tail (Sedum morganianum)
    2016-04-15 001.JPG
    Kalanchoe 'Fang'
    2016-04-15 008.JPG
    Leaf babies and stem cutting of mariner's Kalanchoe (K. marnieriana.)
    2016-04-15 021.JPG
    Jelly bean plant (Sedum rubrotinctum) stem cutting.
    2016-04-12 011.JPG
    Babies of the same tiny Sedum, in a little 1 inch pot.
    2016-04-12 009.JPG
    Many baby plants and older plants of small stature in a mini garden. If something gets too big, I'll just pull it out and put something different (younger, smaller) in its' place. This was started last summer.
    2016-04-12 010.JPG