Will the rain never cease?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, May 27, 2017.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Cayuga Morning,..Lol,..at wusses :smt115

Toni its so hard to believe,..200 days perhaps more of rain in a year,..then when its up in the 30C=84F,..it nearly kills us,..your average of 232 of sun and no rain appeals to me,..this side of the pond we use a huge amount of WD40,..to prevent rust :)

2. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Here we never know. Some years it is like ireland other years it is like arizona and sometimes it is like the congo.

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  3. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Wooooo Hoooooo something I havent seen in almost 2 weeks dry concrete on the drive.!! let the drying continue I may mow tomorrow in the mean time we have begun piddling around out front. It's very steamy out as everythig evaporates.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Since the last missive about being too wet. The spigot has been shut off. Still lots of soil moisture, just have to keep watering the seedlings to help them get a good start. Temps and humidity are close to the intolerable level, being in the garden at sunrise on my days off has been the only way to get anything done.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Same here FBG. Our temps are due to be in the 90's today. A week ago it was 45! On the bright side, the temp are causing the peonies to start blooming. Glorious.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

We just got a quick down pour rained hard for half hour then the sun came back out. Then it became a sauna out side. Summer steam bath.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it 90 here today, too. 104 inside my high tunnel.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Right when I thought I could give the garden boxes a summer work over a storm in the gulf is already raining on my parade bout the only thing I got done is pick around 25 figs the burds got more but they get the ones I cant reach so its ok we started a bag in the freezer to keep em fresh till we have enough to can

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had just over a quarter inch of rain yesterday, so I didn't have to water the gardens today. I pulled the last of the turnips and ignored the bean plants (if you don't look, you don't have to pick). Did some preliminary pruning in two of the flower beds and tried to convince myself the backyard doesn't need mowing. I'll mow tomorrow . . . .

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Well it's tropically Depressin' here in the soggy south. Too wet to play out side too windy to go fishin, and me and da dawgs are getting Cabin fever. At least I can go out twen showers and pick figs. In my white boots of course.

Odif likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We received 1 1/4" of rain between midnight and 10 o'clock this morning. The rain is welcome, but I am just imagining the size of the beans when I can get in to pick. We are above average rainfall for every month this year except May, which was still rainy--just not so much.
    No one told me Texas had a monsoon season . . . .

12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

How is everyone coming with the rain?

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hummer, we had rain on Monday, and on Tuesday I slogged out to pick beans, tomatoes, and peppers, out of sheer necessity. We haven't had rain since, so today I was able to pick without bogging down in the mud.
    No more rain is predicted for the next week, but who knows?

14. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

It's raining here and rain is in the forecast every day for the next 7 days according to the weather report. I think winter stayed and wouldn't let spring come and now spring is staying around and won't let summer come. We have a nice day with 80 degree temps and the next day it's back in the 60's. It was in the 70's today but the wind and rain made it seem cooler. dooley

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I had a farmers market today and needed a jacket. we have had a chilly wind for the last couple days.