Will this Garlic grow correctly?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by newgrow, Jan 25, 2009.

1. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

So I know your supposed to plant garlic in the fall and harvest in June/July or when the foliage turns brown. So I just planted one about 2 weeks ago just to see what would happen and it is about 2 1/2 inches tall right now. Will this make the garlic not taste like garlic or will it not even work at all?

2. Loading...

3. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

It should be okay. We planted ours in Nov and are now at least a foot tall. It takes a while for the head to form.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Garlic

Newgrow, I was under the impression that you could plant garlic in spring in the south? Am I wrong?
    Also, we harvest when half the leaves are brown.

I have a question about harvesting garlic. I did our's just the way I always have, but half way through winter, it began to dry up. I saved enough cloves to last through winter, but I am wondering if I did something wrong. How long can we save our own seed garlic?

5. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

not sure on that. The one I planted I bought from the grocery and like a month and a half later I planted it and it took off it is now green and 8 inches tall and only 3 weeks old. This is my first attempt. Maybe someone else on here could better answer you question.

Advertisement
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Garlic

I really need to know what we did wrong in the harvesting. We did it the same as always and this is the first year the garlic dried up on us. I wonder if we need new seed garlic? We have saved our own for quite a few years.

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    When we moved into our house the backyard had wheelbarrows of garlic that I pulled. The yard had not been kept up for years, as the original owners were unable to. The garlic went wild.
    From my experience the little bulbs that don't come up with the clove of garlic keep reproducing. With the elephant garlic I never have to replant and they have been in the same location for years. The grocery store style garlic I just put in a clove when I pull it. Don't know if this would work for everyone, but I am a pretty lazy gardener. Good luck!

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Garlic

Hi Jewell! I believe it is the garlic seeds which form at the top of the stem that replant the garlic. These are called scapes. I use some of them for cooking.
    I find it interesting that you stick a clove back in the ground when you pull a head of garlic. Reminds me of how my uncle taught me to harvest Ginseng by always planting one of the red berries at the top nearby or even in the original hole. It guarantees the survival of the plant.

If anyone knows exactly how to dry garlic, please tell me.

9. janicejan

janicejan New Seed

Planting on any seasons wont affect its taste, it is just human norms, but there are cases where in it will be harder to grow garlic in those kinds of seasons, that is why there will be a delay in its fruits.