Wine recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by CJay, Apr 11, 2016.

1. CJay

CJay In Flower

Okay. Its not food but a recipe none the less.

Strawberry kiwi wine. I like mine dry so if you like a sweeter wine you can always add sugar after it ferments. What you'll need?

14 pounds strawberries
    4 kiwis (if you want a stronger kiwi flavor add more. But it really doesn't take much)
    5 pounds of cane sugar.
    4 gallons spring water.
    1 table spoon of redstar active dry yeast.

I've seen a lot of people recommend using champagne yeast and yeast nutrient and sodium bisulfate but I've found using normal redstar works a lot better and isn't as finicky with the specific gravity of the must. Using this bill I generally come up with a S.G of about 1.08. If you don't have a hydrometer don't worry. Like I said, redstar is very forgiving.

The reason I don't use sodium bisulfate is because I boil my fruit to kill the natural yeasts. Natural yeast produce off flavors that you don't want unless you're fermenting to later distill it into brandy.

Anyway. I puree the fruit and add it along with the sugar in a five gallon stock pot with the water and boil it for about ten minutes. Once that's done let it cool to below 80 degrees f and ad it to your primary fermenter. I use a food grade bucket with a lid and an air trap. If you don't want to go buy one you can still a hole in the lid and glue in a small plastic hose that you then put into a cup of water to allow co2 out without letting air in.

Keep your must between 70 and 75 degrees f for 7 to 10 days. Then it's time to rack.

I rack my wine in a carboy but if you don't have one you can easily do it in another bucket. Some people siphon it off to keep from picking up the solids. I pour it into a carboy. First through cheese cloth then at the next racking I pour through a coffee filter. If you want your wine to be more sweet you can add sugar. How much depends on you.

Once you racked it the first time replace the air trap and allow it to go tinue to ferment for about two weeks then rack again. I rack three times. Then bottle and age. Aging is the hardest part, cause you want to drink it. I like to age it a couple years at least. But will sometimes take one bottle to drink after a couple months.

So yea. My simple process there. Hope it works for you guys as well as its worked for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll add more pictures once I rack it.

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. CJay

CJay In Flower

For your edification. Not to insult anyone's intelligence. I'm sure there are folks here that are decades past my knowledge on fermentation and what not. Just posting for the folks that don't know.

Carboy
    [​IMG]

Air trap
    [​IMG]

Any home brewer store will have them. Carboy costs like 60 bucks. Air trap like 5. They also sell corks with airtraps built into them.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My husband used to make lots of homemade wine so I recognize the equipment you're showing CJ. He's now into real ale so the wine making is no more. The best ones, flavour wise, (so I'm told) were his elderberry and celery. I'm t.total so can't comment on their taste but the rest of the family loved them.

CJay likes this.
  5. CJay

CJay In Flower

I've not delved that far into wine making but now you have me curious. Thank you.