Winter Flowers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    We have had a very mild winter with very little rain and no snow whatsoever. May have summer water shortages. Today the sun is shining and I took a walk around the yard. Here were a few of the late January observations. Nothing grand, but a definite change in seasons has begun despite the calendar.

[​IMG]
    Tree Fern Ball ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

My sedum/semp hanging ball is becoming a tree Fern ball.
    The lewisea is spreading out into the pathways and needs some division and transplanting

[​IMG]
    Lewisea taking over ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    1st blooming hellebores of 2015 ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Pigsqueak starting to loom ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Crocus ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Wild violets ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Snowdrops ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Honey bee likes the pink heather ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Nice show, Jewell; you do have a unique climate there.. Although the lack of snow can be problematic (because of possible water shortages later in the year)as you mentioned..
    Hank

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your climate is unique! Your pictures really lifted my spirits as we are looking at white with no hope of any color for months. Thank you.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jewell, You have posted the first spring photos!

What is a fern ball or a sedum/semp ball?

I love the look of your hellebores!

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jewell. Super show that - brilliant and for sure your Spring is near with you. That better weather does make such a difference as with us here.

I am currently looking at my Bergenias for a flower - love your Pigsqueak name for them which goes way back here - testing my memory is it because the leaves squeak if they are pulled tightly between two finger?. Syd.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sitting here, in anticipation of history breaking Winter weather today and tomorrow in the NE, I found this wonderful post. It sure made my day. Flowers always lift my spirits on gloomy days.

Thanks for that.....

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Glad to see that spring is making an early appearance for you. We've had a pretty mild winter and some things are perking up, especially now that we're getting lots of sunshine.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Welcome to Gardenstew tuesN1! Hope you like it here.

Frank likes this.
  10. Jewell

Thanks Henry and 2ofus. It is just an unusual winter drier and warmer than I have ever seen.

CM, it is a variation of the sedum/semp wreathes I have made in the past. It's a wire globe lined with moss and filled with potting soil. It still has a few sedums and semps in it but there must have been tree fern spores in the moss. There are a number of little ferns along the bottom.

SS, pigsqueak is the old common name given for the reason you gave. I always forget the Latin name". Ithis is the earlier light pink variety. The later dark pink was quite handsome last year.

Hope your winter lightens up Barb.

Cherylad, I would of thought spring would be getting pretty close for parts of Texas.

TuesN1, I love the violets in the orchard grass. They aren't flashy and you have to look for them. I planted a good number of rescued snowdrops that are planted out under the trees also. Some day they will be making a bright show.

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jewell, even though we've had a pretty mild winter, it is still just January. We've been known to have freezing temps even in March. It's been very hard not to get in that Springtime state of mind of late, especially with temps in the 70s here and there. :stew2:

12. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Hi Jewel. I really love all your flowers, but the sedum ball/fern ball is very unique. Love the way it looks.

13. Jewell

Cherylad, 70's ... That's summer weather here :D

GinnyC, if you are not critical or a perfectionist, just take a bit of old metal fencing or chicken wire, bend ir into a lumpy ball, line with moss and fill with dirt in the inter most space ..stick in some sedum cuttings and you got what I made. I used the local tree moss and it must have had fern spores in it. This ball is several years old and pretty much neglected.

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Jewel...so nice of you to share those great pictures. I especially love the ball...I tried making a thyme ball with 2 hanging baskets held together with the coco mat liners on the outside...they got too heavy and just did not do well so I took them apart. I think I need lighter potting mix.

15. Jewell

Sherry, you might try adding perlite to your potting mix. My son gave me a huge sack and it has come in handy. Seems the brand of potting soil I like has changed their ratios and has gotten heavier. The jays think I hang the coco mat lined planters up just for them to make nests. I cannot use the liners for long term planters, the liners just disappear a chunk at a time until the soil falls out. :D

16. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Thanks for the instructions Jewell, I have all the supplies needed to make one too. A new project for me to try come spring!