Winter Sowing Begins

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Jan 13, 2011.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi everyone, I started my over wintering today, I have a couple of questions please, Could I just put all my containers on my deck on top of the table or under it, Or should I put them out in the grassy snow? As you can tell this is my first time, I just done about 20 different flower seeds this time, I wanted to see how it goes. And also do you think I could overwinter my canna seeds to or what do you think? I think I have done everything that needs to be done with them, I hope. If you all have any thing that will help me just jump right in. I need all the help I can get, It just really makes me nervous, Thinking they will come up to soon. I planted some indoors to, It's probably to soon But I have the fever,I'm in zone 6 so I will just keep my fingers crossed. Thank you all for all your help.I have some pics. I will put in Just in a little while, Look and see if you see any mistakes.

Margie :stew2:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Margie, are you referring to Winter Sowing? Over wintering is bringing established plants inside the house to protect them from the freezing temperatures.

4. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

wintersowing

Yes toni your right, I'm sorry it is winter sowing I got it all backwards.

Thank you Margie :oops: :stew2:

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I thought so but wanted to be sure before I changed the Subject of your post. Now it should get more responses from members who have done winter showing before.

I do remember that Biita showed photos of her containers out in the flower bed next to her house covered in snow. So I think being out in the yard would be the best place for them since they apparently need the freeze and thaw affect to make the germinate in the spring.

6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

margie, be excited, not nervous! :D tho, i must admit i was very nervous too when i first tried it 3 years ago.

i bury my containers in the snow. i also put them on the north side of the house. key is to keep them in a spot where the sun won't make them too warm so they germinate too early and get frozen by a late frost.

here's a link that should help. lots of info on it.

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html

here's some info on someone winter sowing cannas in zone 5b...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/ws/view.php?wsid=42