Winter

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, Feb 6, 2017.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We've been having an unusual winter. Lots of snow with some above freezing temperatures during the day and below freezing at nights, that is causing a lot of ice problems. It's turned the area off the patio into a skating rink and forms ice cones, removed the porch roof off the shop and has made some dangerous icicles hanging off the roofline.
    snow 2017 003 (Small).JPG

Mike is knocking the ice and snow off the edge of the patio roof. It slides off the roof but doesn't break off and it's thick enough and heavy enough to cause an injury if it fell unexpectedly. You can see the slabs falling that he is knocking down.

snow 2017 006 (Small).JPG

Between thawing, freezing, and the wind it makes some great icicles though.

snow 2017 009 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Frank, Kay, toni and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tetters
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh boy, just another reason I am counting down the days until spring! It's 42 days, by the way, until spring :headbang:

2ofus likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Strangely enough we've had a very mild winter, so far, which is rather unusual for Scotland. The weathermen are predicting that next week is going to be -15 degrees with plenty of snow. I don't think we'll have icicles as impressive as yours though.

2ofus likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I almost remember winter days with icicles hanging from the roof but that was about 5 years ago so I will sit here and enjoy your snow and maybe chill down.
    I am sitting here in shorts and a t-shirt with a sweaty back from being outside just a few minutes this morning.....spring began here about 30 days ago.

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Brrr! It sure looks wintery there! It has been a mild one here in the center of the US. We've had 5 snows; totaling to about 5 inches. That is way below our average. We did have a crazy ice storm that messed with travel, but the ice started melting within 24 hrs. A week ago it was 61 degrees F, today it is 35F. We are so anxious to get back out to our gardens! Winter will pass.

2ofus likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The snow here hasn't stopped since last week and is still coming.

Getting ready to welcome another Ice Age!!!

2ofus likes this.
  8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We have had a few snows but only mild ones. Except for the 12 inches back in December. There is snow on the ground but the highways are sidewalks are kept pretty good. I won't drive out on them if they are snowy or slippery. Today it was sunny and mid-thirties. But the rest of the week will be snowy, icy, mixed precipitation with temps in the teens. Winter is not over here. dooley

2ofus likes this.
  9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    That's a lot of ice and snow. We've had a drier than usual winter here and only this weekend got snow.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep... It looks colder there than here. Amazing! It has been so warm most of the winter that I am worried about the apples setting bud as they should. We have hardly had any snow or cold so far and not much but the forecast. But you can have it all. Last Feb we had an average daily high of 14f. It was cold. I hope you aren't that cold. Stay warm safe and well.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We had about 4 more inches of snow today then it started raining. Our yard is beginning to look like a lake as the ground is frozen and there is no where for the water to go. Several major highways are closed do to flooding. The flooding is bad here on the mountain but lower down it's really bad. Monday, 3 dogs (separate incidence's) broke through river ice and were lost. We are suppose to get more snow/rain but I hope not! :fingerscrossed: On top of that we had a small earth quake 11 miles from us. It was just a 3.6 and I didn't feel it!