Winters coming so Emma is knitting again....

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by EJ, Oct 3, 2010.

1. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Yup, got those knitting needles out and am finishing a project I started in the spring, a long coat/cardigan. It is a lacey pattern, which I keep messing up and I can't detangle and go back, so have to wait until I see mum, but this does mean I start knitting the next bit, until I mess that up..... :D Anyhow, only have the sleeves to do which is great. And it is really chunky wool so fingers crossed it will be finished in the next couple of weeks in time for the cold weather.

I have a lot of odd wool and have found some great patterns for bags and hats, so am going to have a go at them as I have a lot of jumpers, jackets and cardigans... All being well, I will remember to post pics for you to see my progress.

Have you started knitting now the winter is approaching?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Droopy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I wish I knew HOW to knit!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never really got into knitting despite my mother being great at it. I much prefer to sew but haven't started yet this year.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm knitting an alpaca jumper to use at the stables. It's thin, lightweight and as warm as a thick woolen jumper. The yarn was bought at a half-price sale so I'm not worried about being extravagant. :D

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I knit year round, I have a vest type wrap I finished for myself early in the summer, now I am hoping the weather turns cold enough this winter for me to wear. Right now I am making some scarves for the Knit Your Bit project for Veterans. Then I have got to start on the socks I have been wanting for months.

I have all sorts of wool for sweaters but I hate sewing the pieces together so I usually put them off or find easy patterns with as few seams as possible.

7. EJ

I hate the sewing up also Toni and save that up for mum. She makes such tidy seams...mine are always scruffy and I do think that can ruin something that you have worked hard on.

Alpaca Droopy!! Goodness me!!! I would love to knit something is lush as that. I am always on the look out for clearance sales, but as knitting is fasionable again at the moment, wool seems to expensive. Charity shops are a good place to look though.

I fancy having a go at socks...aren't they tricky...turning the heel and all?

8. toni

Turning the heel can be tricky but you will be working on it and all of a sudden it will click and you can do it with your eyes closed.

You could also make tube socks....no heel involved. ;) I have made Randy and I a couple pairs each with just a knit 2, purl 2 ribbing from top to the toe and they are soooooooo warm and comfy.

9. EJ

Mum usually knits me socks to use up cotton she has used for other projects. They are great in my work boots and keep my tooties cosy. :)

I'm sure you all have your fave pattern sites, but mum and I use this one heaps as there are so many free patterns available.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php

10. toni

I have printed off several of their patterns, so many ideas and so little time. :rolleyes:

11. EJ

We need our own flock of sheep, a couple of alpacas, some angora rabbits, and a large spinning wheel. :)

12. leafylady

leafylady New Seed

I'm knitting on a crazy hat and getting ready to start a colorful geometric afghan from knitpicks.

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You use a roundneedle, right? I only need to sew the arms on to the body so I like knitting sweaters when I have the urge to knit.

14. toni

Droopy, I love using circular needles they are so much easier to handle. I do have pattern that requires no seam sewing, you make the body and sleeves on seperate circular needles then join them onto one needle and continue going round and round.
    I just need to perfect my joining technique, there is always a few very loose stitches at the underarm.

15. leafylady

leafylady New Seed

Thanks to the link to knitting for veterans. I am always looking for short projects, and I don't have enough people to give scarves or hats to.