worm in rose buds?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by BudSprout, Jul 8, 2008.

1. BudSprout

BudSprout New Seed

Hi everyone!! Hope all is going well for everyone!

I have been noticing that a new resident has made himself at home in my rose beds. More than that, he's made himself quite cozy in my rose buds!! Every now and then I find my rose buds with a hole a little smaller than a pencil eraser where it looks like a worm has eaten his way from one side through to the other of my rose buds. He seems to have a preference for my roses that are more in the sun (especially my mini roses)than the ones that get a bit more shade. He must get a late start on some of them, though, because sometimes the poor rose buds will try to bloom and there's nothing but petals :'(

Does anyone know what kind of pest this might be? Is there an organic way to evict him (I try to keep aways from pesticides since my garden is in the same area where my two-year-old plays). Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Around here if we get that kind damage to our roses or clemantis blooms it tends to be earwigs that are the root of the trouble. I put straw in a plastic tumbler and then turn it upside down on top of a garden cane. The earwigs then crawl into the straw overnight and can be disposed of easily each morning.

4. Public Designs

Public Designs Seedling

Wow that is an interesting way to get rid of earwigs. I have never heard of that one. I am going to have to try that. I am always looking for more healthy ways to get rid of pests.

5. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

I've lost rosebuds to worms and I have bought insecticide ( but didn't use it yet)as I am frustrated I have to check on them every morning.
    I pluck them manually for now. I'm worried of using chemicals too.