Worms... Insecticide soap not working!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by MyHomeAndGarden, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

Ok... I've started helping a neighbor with a veggie garden and it's going wonderfully except for one tiny little thing... It's about 1/2" long fully grown and I found tons of little babies hiding in the tomato plants tonight... I managed to get one crappy picture... it's black with teeny tiny specs... Very small, but brother! It's eating everything in site!

Any ideas?

Also, for you corn growers, this garden is experiencing some type of bug that's leaving a bunch of nastiness behind... Are there typical diseases that affect just corn? I don't see the same remnants in any of the other plants.[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. mOO_cOw

mOO_cOw New Seed

I can't help you with the corn issue. The best thing to do for the vegetable garden is to use a multi use spray.

This is what I use on mine.
    http://www.gardensafe.com/ProductCatego ... Fungicide3

When spraying the leaves, you want to make sure you completely soak the leaves. Make sure you spray both sides of the leaves.

I use to just mist both sides of the leaves. I swear I could hear the insects laughing at me. It didn't work at all doing it that way until I read the directions on the bottle and did a little research. After I started doing it the right way, the insects started dying.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello again--long time, no see.
    If you indeed do turn to a commercial spray in a can---just be sure to hold the can not too close to the leaves and stems when applying it because the aerosol propellant is cold and could injure the leaves seriously.

Another thought--if you add ±2 tablespoons of 'spiritus' to the soap and water mixture, it may well help.

As for the corn thing: I don't have any idea, as the pests there are completely different that the ones here. I guess the the first thing to do woud be to actually find some specimens of the insects that are doing the mischief--then you can know how to combat them. Or do you suspect fungal or bacterial insult?

5. MyHomeAndGarden

MyHomeAndGarden New Seed

Hi MooCow

Thanks! I'm going to the nursery today and I'll see if they carry any of their products.

Greetings Sjoerd! It has been a while hasn't it! I'm ashamed to say that up until recently, my hands have been CLEAN of soil as I've just not done the gardening I've wanted. But with my neighbors producing a garden, I just couldn't stop myself from plunging right in to help. Ok... as for your suggestion... I looked up spiritus and only found definitions relating to Catholic works! ha! Is there another name for this concoction?

Advertisement
  6. mOO_cOw

mOO_cOw New Seed

The stuff that I gave you a link to is OMRI listed. Its completely safe for organic gardening.

Just make sure you completely soak the leaves.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Deborah, I think spiritus is known there as methylated spirits or denatured alcohol.