Worst plant pests in your area, and their cures?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by gardengater, Apr 24, 2009.

1. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

What are the worst plant pests in your area and what is the best cure for them? Mine are Japanese Beetles and I just bought a beetle trap with pheramones that are supposed to attract and trap them.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Red lily beetles that started to show up here a couple of years ago. I pick them off the plants by hand and squish them as I certainly don't want them breeding and scoffing my beautiful lilies. :-x

4. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Japanese Beetles are on top of my list that is for sure. The traps really work. We had 3 traps last summer and noticed that the green beans and berries were not infested with them.

The trees all around last summer were infested with Gypsy Moth nests and Tent Caperpillar nests. The are ugly and kill entire branches of the trees. We burn them down as soon as we see them form.

5. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

someone told me those traps actually bring more beetles in to the yard but if your noticing them being killed instead of killing your plants i guess they are working.

im thinking about getting one, ive seen those beetles all over my torch lillies in the past..

Advertisement
  6. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Hmmmm.....

[​IMG]
    groundhog ( photo / image / picture from PepperDude's Garden )

and i'm a redneck with a deer rifle.

7. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Oh gosh, Pepperdude;
    He's so cute, but I imagine he can make a salad out of your lilies. I remember my Dad shooting off the porch with a beebee gun. I'm not sure it was very effective.

8. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Earwigs!!! :scheming:

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Slimy, slugs up to six inches in length! Don't like killing them, and do not have ducks any more to eat them. I'm very bad...I toss them (fortunately none of my backyard neighbors have gardens). They probably just crawl back later.... but I am a wimp.

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Does anyone get Whitefly? What do they look like compared to aphids? Is there an organic way to kill them?
    I don't blame you Jewell - I couldn't squash slugs either. I understand that beer attracts them drowns them. Ever try it?

11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Gardengater, good idea, I haven't done that for a while. Was thinking of it the other day. :rolleyes: Procrastinated and forgot, plus my hubby the the "WHAT" when I asked if he had any cheap beer. Thanks! ;)

12. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

At the moment we have a slug problem they seem to be wanting to eat anything and I have a couple of my orchids in the garden, more will go out later in May, and I have to buy some copper tape to put around the pots and the table they are on or they will dine on orchid salad. Second on my list of hated critters right now is scale, I have had to isolate two of my orchids as they have gotten themselves scale and they are a devil to get rid of we have atacked them with Provado ultimate bug killer and they seem to have gone for now but we are looking for some alcohol like isopropyl to kill them as they can get immune to the chemical quite readily and we need a back up. Scale is a common garden pest that likes roses and other plants. once they take a hold it can be a lifelong battle getting rid of them.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Scale, spider mites and deer.

14. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Hi Netty;
    How do you treat for spider mites? I have insecticide, but would rather use an organic remedy if there's one.

15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Gardengater, I may have to resort to an insecticide...I've been unable to get these mites under control and it's gotten really bad! I'm looking for idea's too. And QUICK!

16. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Armadillos and chinch bugs. Can't shoot the armadillos, I am non violent unless my life is threatened. lol. the chinch bugs we use sevin dust on, even though I don't like to.