Ya gotta love Texas

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Aug 21, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You might be surprised by how many feral Emus there are in Texas. Many years ago Interstate 20 from Ft. Worth to Abilene had 4 or 5 Emu farms along the route. The market for Emu meat bottomed out and since some of the farmers had no place to sell them or even give them away, they were turned loose in other fields all over the area. About 15-20 years ago that started to be a big concern for motorists along the highway, some of the animals were hit and killed and local residents in the country started finding them in their yards and foraging through their own gardens.

The chupacabras on the other hand .... most have been proven to be wild dogs or coyotes with a severe case of Mange.... or is that a cover-up? :suspicious:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm not surprised that you have emus roaming wild there in Texas. We too have animals that are not natives and have been turned out when they are of no further value. Some, however, have escaped and adapted to our climate. We have wallabies, reports of 'big' cats and species of deer such as muntjacs roaming freely. Mink are a real problem as is the American crayfish but we don't, as far as I'm aware, have anything like the legendary chupacabras that folks have claimed to see in Texas. Let's hope you never come across one but, if you do, make sure you have a camera to hand!!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Wow you guys have all the interesting stuff. Two weeks ago at the local fair a 900 pound steer got loose and ran away into the surrounding area. That area has a lot of suburbs surrounding the fair grounds. They said that if you see DO NOT approach it. :dislike: Now why would they say that. :rolleyes:
    The steer had not been seen for over 2 weeks. But this last week it happened to show up back at the fair grounds. :suspicious: I know why it ran away from the fair before it had even started. It did NOT want to become hamburger meat. :eek:
    The owner came and loaded it up in a trailer and it is now back at their farm happily enjoying itself. That definitely was not a bum steer. :rolleyes:;)

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We've had neighbor's cows wander through our front yard, and their chickens enjoying our back yard. A neighbor's dog spent the night in the barn, and a steer from across the road actually jumped our fence and grazed the pasture until its owner came looking for it. Nothing quite so funny as a 200 lb. man trying to coax a 700 lb. steer into a cattle hauler trailer. I really need to get a video camera . . . .

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Haha Never a dull moment in Texas!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Oh my gosh Marlin that would be a great video for U-Tube. I know every time I see something interesting I never have my camera handy.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Growing up we had a flock of chickens in NJ. One year, a group of them took to roosting in the neighbor's tree. I don't know why, they had a perfectly good chicken coop. All was fine until one hen started to lay her eggs while in the tree....the neighbor objected to the mess!

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love hearing about the things that happen....I have only had 2 steer in my large flower beds when we lived in the country and here close to town Bob, the llama..(may he rest in peace)... I guess they all love to graze in flower beds

Tooty2shoes likes this.