Yikes. A turkey takeover!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Tooty2shoes, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Today we had quite the herd of turkeys in our back pasture. I would have called them a flock, but there where way to many of them to call them that. They stayed around for several hours roaming from our land to the neighbors. I am so glad they do not come into our yard in the summer. We would not have a garden with this many mouths munching on it. Maybe that is why they say, Gobble, Gobble.:D
    DSCN3866.JPG
    This is a few of the herd that came through the backyard. The ones off in the distance eventually made their way up to join the others. This is a close up of them.
    DSCN3861.JPG
    The next photo is of the rest of the herd on the other side of the above propane tank.
    DSCN3868.JPG
    How many turkeys can you see. I counted over 40. Yikes there's a lot of dinners in that herd. The last pick is of one of the large and I mean large males that are in this group. They where even fanning and showing off. This weather has them all confused.
    DSCN3867.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2015
    donm, Donna S, Jerry Sullivan and 8 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh that really is a whole lot of turkeys isn't it? I wonder what attracted so many birds to your land.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

How delightful it was to see these pics. We only know this bird on the supermarket shelf here. It is quite something to see them walking about in the "wild", so to speak.

Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We used to have big flocks like that coming into the yard ... they liked to clean up the fallen apples. They were chased away by the dog a few times and just stopped coming. Now they spend their time across the street in the bush and cow pasture. I can often hear them ... they make me laugh :)

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I'd never imagine that many turkeys in one spot! You must be doing something very right to attract them. Thanks for taking and sharing those photos.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

So glad everyone enjoyed seeing the turkey take over in our backyard. I am not sure why they are so attracted to this area. It could be because behind our home we have a river valley with few home and lots of trees and cover for them. Also the weather has been really nice and they like eating what seeds they can find in our pasture.
    I know that when we had apples on the wild trees at the back of our property the turkeys would come and eat what fell on the ground. But that was back in Sept. and the apples are gone.
    We do not have a lot of predators around to keep their numbers in check. Our neighbors say that we do have some coyotes. But they are few and far between. Our one neighbor said that he saw one sitting in the plowed field behind their home. One can not eat enough turkeys to make a dent in all of these birds.
    We could use a lot of turkey hunters in the fall to bring down their numbers.
    This morning we saw about 7 male turkeys running down the road in front of our house. My husband said that he wondered why they would do that. I said it was because they were in training for the next Turkey trot race. :D Or they were just strutting their stuff.:headbang:

2ofus, Frank, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I would love to see that many wild turkeys near our home but it's not likely so I'll just enjoy the ones you have. ;)

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Wow! What a sight. :) They're nice-looking birds, but seeing them makes me hungry. I looove turkey. :smt117

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

The turkeys are around here too in my part of Wisconsin. Thank heavens not on my lawn like it used to be when we were at our last home. But we see a lot of them around in the fields that have been cut down. Enjoy them while you have them....they seem to be moving around in our area.

11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

2ofus- you must live in town. I've seen turkeys right in the outskirts of Green Bay when I drive into town.
    Droopy--Yes they are very nice looking birds. You are to funny. I love turkey as well.
    Sherry-they come and go. We haven't seen them for a few days now. But with this snow I bet they will be here tomorrow.