You just never expect this to happen to someone you know

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, Sep 5, 2016.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How to begin.....our former son-in-law's step-dad called us Wednesday afternoon to let us know that said former son-in-law had killed his own Mom.
    We have spent the past 5 days listening to and crying with our daughter and grandsons. She is crying because of the affect it is having and will continue to have on her son's when their Dad goes to prison. As the oldest asked ... "will I ever get to see him again without a glass wall between us?" The boys are 20 and 17, the oldest is in Houston with his girlfriend going to college and the youngest is a Junior in High School.

Son-in-law is in jail, having confessed to the 911 operator when he called to report a "dead body in his Mom's house" and to the police officers who knocked on his door later. We found out later that he had killed her dog too.
    Lots of problems in his family history that led to this event resulting in a fear of what he could possibly do if he gets out on bail. The police chief, county DA and her lawyer are all working to keep my daughter updated on what his status is. So far the fear level has dropped to DEFCON 2.....we have to make a joke now and then or we will all go crazy.

Any good thoughts and prayers you send her way would be greatly appreciated.

There won't be a funeral (she didn't want one) she wanted to be cremated and her ashes scattered over her Dad's property in Oklahoma so her estranged husband and his sons will do that for her later this month.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Toni !! You and the entire family will have prayers from me ! That must be the most difficult thing for two young boys to understand. And how does a mother explain it all ? Tell your daughter our thoughts and prayers will be with her and the boys.
    I doubt seriously that his getting bail is an option. For your families sake I hope he does not.
    Where did this happen ?

4. toni

In Ft. Worth, you might have heard about it on the evening news last Wednesday. I know it's made it to San Antonio and Houston plus locally.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

No,, I did not hear of it. We only get Shreveport and Texarkana local news. I was thinking if it was close to you.

Advertisement
  6. toni

Where she lived was about a 45 minute drive west of us.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, of course our thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and grandsons, and with you also. How devastating for your family. Thank heavens your daughter and grandsons have you and Randy to help them through this terrible time.
    Think that all your friends and admirers here on the Stew want to hold your hands and help you be strong.

stratsmom likes this.
  8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Our thoughts and prayers will go with you through this difficult time. Please try to stay strong for the boys even though you are feeling poorly yourself. dooley

9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Wow Toni - a really terrible terrible tragedy to have to deal with and 'try' (if anybody ever can) to understand. Awful for all of you and most of all the children.

Thoughts and prayers to you from way up here.

Take time to take care of yourself too while you're taking care of family.

10. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I'm so very sorry to hear of this tragedy Toni.
    Draw close to one another.

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm glad that your daughter and grandsons were nowhere near when this dreadful event took place. I hope they can all come to terms with the situation and move on with their lives. My thoughts are with all your family at this awful time.

12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a horrible thing to happen. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh no!! :( Oh Toni I'm so sorry.

Does anyone know why in hell he did that??? Is he mentally unstable, was there an argument, an accident, what? Those are the kinds of questions that would haunt me over something like this.

When my grandkids step dad committed suicide, I had similar questions relating to that, because it was such a mystery as to why he would ever do such a thing.

I'm so very sorry. Poor family. :(

14. toni

He is bipolar and stopped taking his meds about 2 years ago. And it didn't take much for him to go to the dark side. Neighbors said they had heard them arguing a few times since he moved in with her about 2 months ago.

15. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Sorry about this. We know how puzzling these things can be. The young son of a friend who was also a playmate of our children when they were growing up, killed someone in a fight. None of us could understand how such an inoffensive lad could do something like that.
    There will always be unanswerable questions too. Please don't let it pray on your mind.

16. kate

kate In Flower

I can and will say prayers.
    K