Your all-time favorite book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by habee, May 8, 2011.

1. habee

habee New Seed

What's your all-time fave book - not for deep phisophical meaning, but for sheer enjoyment?

Mine is Chesapeake, by James Michener.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think it's a toss up for me. Where the Red Fern Grows or A DAY NO PIGS WOULD DIE. I read them both as a kid and they still both still come to mind when I think of a good book.

4. habee

habee New Seed

OMG, Carolyn, I love both those books! Peck is a great storyteller.

5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Habee,
    gee that's a hard choice to make,..i read on average one book per week and have done so for 52 years!,..but one book always comes to mind "Clan Of The Cave Bear",..by Jean M. Auel,..i enjoyed it so much i was saddened i finished,..but then discovered there were three more books continuing the story and all had about 700 pages.

Advertisement
  6. habee

habee New Seed

Philip, I read all the books in the series. I think there were three? The book was sooooo much better than the movie!

7. habee

habee New Seed

Philip, I'm an avid reader, also. As a lit teacher, I had to be! lol

8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Ohhhhh a lit teacher! :) ,..no complaints there as i had a good one,..though many many years ago,..the titles of those books come easy to me.

Clan Of The Cave Bear.
    The Valley Of Horses.
    The Mammoth Hunters.
    The Plains Of Passage.

I read each several times over the years,..very interesting.

Islandlife likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hey, I read those also. I loved the YEARLING, too. I think there are toooooooo many favorites to choose just one.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually #6 and last of the Earth's Children Series came out in March 2011...The Land of Painted Caves.

#1 Clan of the Cave Bears
    #2 The Valley of Horses
    #3 The Mammoth Hunters
    #4 The Plains of Passage
    #5 The Shelters of Stone
    #6 The Land of Painted Caves

11. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Dragon Riders of Pern! I have the whole lot of them! Starting with "Dragons Dawn" Waiting for the newest one coming out this month.My Mother left me hundreds of Books. I have read a lot of them! Working on the rest. I read every day at bedtime, LOL helps me sleep.

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Toni,
    thanks for the information on the additional books by Jean M.Auel,..i didn't know about those,..i am big into Trudi Canavan books as well,..just of late,..The Black Magician Trilogies,..and age Of The Five,..rather Tolkien type stories.

Pondlady,
    Dragon Riders Of Pern!,...great books though i have missed out on a few,..Dragonseye for one,...i will get around to it.

Caroline,
    i must get The Yearling as well,..i know i would like it.

Habee,
    you re activated this thread,..and you got me looking at books i know i would like,..it will be late enjoyable nights until i fall asleep.

carolyn likes this.
  13. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

My all-time, favorite book is "A Prayer For Owen Meany" by John Irving. "Doctor Zhivago" by Boris Pasternak comes in a close, close second.

14. JesseN

JesseN New Seed

How to win friends and influence people!

15. Annette

Annette Seedling

i don't read much nowadays, it puts me to sleep, but when i was younger a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan....i've read the Clan of the Cave Bear series, and the Drangonriders of Pern series (absolutely love). But, from my childhood i would have to say, The Secret Garden. my mom gave me that book when i was younger, and i must have read it a dozen times, and also watch the movies (i think 2 were made) any time they are on t.v.

16. White_Wolfe

White_Wolfe Seedling

Can't say I have just one favorite. A book I read recently that made me consider things never thought about before was "One Second After" by William R Forstchen. That book bothered me more than any book I have ever read. After I finished it I was glad I had read it on the one hand and wished I hadn't on the other. Anyone else read it.

I usually read three or four books a week and have a number of favorite authors.......What can I say, I just like to read. I enjoyed Jean M.Auel's series and loved all the Pern books. I also liked the Shanara books by Terry Brooks, John Sanfords books, Vince Flynn, Lee Child, Brad Thor, Tom Clancey etc, etc, etc. Most of my reading is strictly for entertainment. Nothing real complicated.

One of my favorite series of mysteries are about a guy named Doc Ford written by my cousin Randy Wayne White. Randy is my cousin but he is an excellent author and the books are really good. They are about a man, Doc Ford, who was chosen and trained right out of high school to work for the government in basically black ops. He has now retired to Sanibel Island Florida, lives in a stilt house at a marina, has a Marine Biological business but still gets pulled back into mysteries. I especially enjoy them as I am familiar with the places/things he writes about as I am a sixth generation Floridian.

Sorry to ramble on but as I said I love to read. My TV is seldom turned on if I have a good book handy.