Grass and Weed cuttings.

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by mbwest, Jun 22, 2006.

1. mbwest

mbwest Seedling

Grass and Weed cuttings.
    After my first 'mowing' i have about 100ltrs+ of grass and tops of weeds and wondered what was the best thing to do with this? At the moment it is all lumped at the back of my garden in a pile. It seems a waste to put it in a plastic bag and end up in some land-fill site. - What do you guys do with your cuttings?

Thanks in advance ;)

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Murray I compost all my grass clippings etc. It means that when it's well rotted I can dig it back into the garden to feed my plants and it doesn't cost me a penny!!

Here is a website all about home composting and one that you might find useful regarding cheap compost bins.

http://www.leics.gov.uk/home_composting

4. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

I use dry grass to put around fruit trees and vegetables.You don't want to lay it up against the truck of the tree. Its good for compost I was told but have never done it.

5. Hank

Hank Seedling

Compost! Black gold.

Leave it in a pile and work it into the garden this fall, or if its an eyesore, build a nice bin out of some lattice panels. I wouldn't know what to do with all of my weeds, table scraps, clippings, cuttings and vegetable waste with out one.

Clippings can also be used as a nice mulch, but I prefer weed-free clippings. Don't want to exacerbate a weed problem... If you do use them for mulch, don't put tightly against annuals, as it will burn them as it breaks down.

Advertisement
  6. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I rake all mine up and spread them out to dry. I then put it around my plants. Its good compost and it helps hold the water in the ground... instant mulch!

7. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

We have a mulching mower, so no grass clippings. I take all my weeds to the recycling center, don't put them in any compost piles.

8. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

I'm backkkkkkkkkkk lol. Well, after reading up on this subject. I got rite to it. Took the corner of the back yard and made the compost area very very large. I had to find away to keep Bandit out :headscratch:. :idea: I went to a construction site and they gave me the plastic orange fencing they no longer needed. So now I don't have enough compost. Well, I weeded the hole front and 1/2 the back yard. Well, worth the sunburn :setf_050: harm ack. Everything I have goes into it (not the dog). The garbage men don't have so much anymore lol. G!zMo

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Way to go Gizmo :smt041 Believe me you will not regret it!

10. Hank

Hank Seedling

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

weeds & grass

I have three compost piles. Everything goes into them. We had been putting leaves, grass, weeds, etc. into the largest for five years and just ignoring it. What a surpise this spring when we started digging in to it. We now have two black plastic bins and a large open bin. The only problem with the covered bins is that I must remember to add water to them to help things break down faster. Food scraps (vegetables & fruit) go into the ones that have lids so we don't have a problem with racoons.

Polly

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I use Compost from Monterey Mushroom
    Where I work .It is great compost .I cover the plants in the winter with pine needles and leaves.