Feature request time!

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Comments / Help' started by Frank, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi all,

I have a few small, helpful features lined up that I want to add to the Stew, and will add them as I get time. But I wondered is there any feature you would really like to see on the site? Sometimes I feel like I'm wearing blinkers and I don't see the bigger picture, so it's really cool when someone suggests a feature that I would never have thought about.

Thanks in advance.
    // frank

P.S I really apologise to all who have submitted feedback for the plant pages (new choices etc...) and have not seen any change yet. I really do archive all the feedback and don't be surprised if one day you see a topic stating lots of changes have been made at once.

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I don't know if this is would be considered a feature or just a "solved glitch"... but seems like a good time to mention it.
    Case in point... I mislabeled a plant in a photo and wanted to go back and change it to the correct name. But It wouldn't take the edit. I tried added the info to the description, same thing. I eventually just added it as a "comment".
    Or perhaps I was doing something wrong?

Can't wait to see what "real" features get requested!

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I can second Cheryl's comment. I have found that editing or moving pictures between albums requires deleting the picture and then performing the desired task as part of a re-submission.

5. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

Well this isn't really a feature request but i cant find any info on the 'Give a Seed' ability. I guess its like kudos? Is there any more info on how this works or is it like a thumbs up thing to a post?

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

GN, when Frank added the Give a Seed button he posted the explanation in the Site News Forum

Yep, it's a thumbs up to show that the post content was interesting, helpful, funny, etc.

7. Frank

Yeah sorry G_N, Toni explained it well. It brings me to one thing that needs to improve/ be created: a proper site help section!

Chery/Jerry: sorry that this happens. Let me see if I have this correct, you upload a photo right now and give it a title/description. You then try to update the title, doesn't work. Next you then try to update the description, doesn't work either. Finally you decide to choose a new album for the photo but it doesn't work either? Has it always been like this? It works for me so it's quite puzzling :?:

Thanks.

8. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

ahh there it is, i thought I'd looked everywhere....but i guess i didn't...thanks..

9. Frank

I think a little ? question mark beside the "Give a Seed" graphic which links to the help section would solve this actually. Thanks G_N for pointing it out.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Frank... I have no problem moving from folder to folder. Just updating a name or description. Adding comments works fine.

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have noticed that too Cheryl, so I have to be very careful in my spelling ;)
    I never thought to ask about that, just figured it was how it was.

12. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

Do the 'give a seed' seeds add up somewhere? Is there like a place to see how many seeds someone has given/received or just a message under a post to show who gave a seed to it?

Frank likes this.
  13. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

How about a Plantstew for Fungi? It would be like a regular plant page, but with other options like if its "harmful to people, pets, plants, home, etc.," "edible or not," and "how to get rid of it." Just thought it would be pretty neat. :)

14. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Also how about a way to search plants by the family they belong to. When you click on a family, each genus in that family would be displayed. Then you could click on the genus and each species in that family displayed like usual.

15. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

O.K. Frank after people say they have no problems then I realize I am missing something :oops: I have now found out how to accomplish what I wanted to do. Ignore my last ramblings.

Suggest something...... O.K. I have a suggestion...... a FIFO for new posts. FIFO. Definition: First in first out. Explanation of feature: When viewing new posts the search gives you a view of new posts since your last login. If you logout without viewing all the new posts, when you log back in you lose the posts not viewed the previous login. A FIFO would keep a running list of new posts limited to perhaps 25 of the newest posts. If not viewed when full the oldest posts exceeding 25 would no longer be viewed with the FIFO feature. Up to 25 not viewed posts would always be viewable.

tschnath likes this.
  16. Frank

I will test this Chery and Toni, and will update in this thread. Thanks. Toni was there something related to spelling in the glitch you saw?

G_N I had thought about this. Maybe it could be achieved like the way Super Posts are handled i.e. a count on the member's profile page. Thanks.