Best practices for seed trading, input required

Discussion in 'Plant and Seed Exchange' started by Frank, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi all,

Since we don't have an official list of trading do's and dont's/best practices I think it is time we need one. So what would you all like to see added to this list, what would make a more comfortable trading experience for you? The more serious items on the list can make it into the GardenStew usage rules i.e. false trading.

Thanks!
    // frank

2. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Just a suggestion, you have to be a member for more then 2 months or have a certain amount of posts before you can participate, and that way it weeds out the ones who join sites right around this time of the year, and play the game, and never send anything in return.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That sounds good Penny. I reluctantly "traded" with a new member a few years ago who joined around trading time. I sent my seeds, but didn't receive any in return. I have never seen that member on here again.

4. Penny

Penny Young Pine

I feel bad for new members, because some have ruined it for them, i have had a bad trade this year too, not from here, its a shame when people take advantage of other people's generosity.

Or another idea, What if this site adopted the "if your new, you send first" rule ??
    But that is somthing that can be arranged by the ones swapping,

Advertisement
  5. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Hi Frank;
    I agree that there should be guidelines. I had the same experience last year, three times and one is a regular participant. Is that why some are reluctant to respond to trades? I did recieve several good trades though. I can't think how you can screen except to trade with those who contribute on a regulat basis. I would also say that courtesy is encouraging like saying "thanks" when one completes a trade.

6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Absolutely! I like to know when my seeds reach their destination and what condition the package was in.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Thanks for the input so far. Due to the fact that I don't get to hear about bad trades I'm disappointed to hear that there have been many so far.

I'm therefore thinking that we may need some sort of reputation system ala eBay i.e. you set up a trade with a member and based on the outcome of that trade you can either mark it as positive or negative. Each member will have a 'trade score' which will help another member decide whether to enter a trade with them or not.

It's only an idea and I've only spent 15 minutes thinking about it this morning but would it be useful (bearing in mind that trades would now be shown in public)?

8. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Great idea, Frank. I'd participate in that.

9. wolfcub

wolfcub New Seed

rules for trading

I think if you are a new member to the site and have done successful trades with members you should be allowed to trade Don't you think so Penny I am new to the site but have had a few trades with Penny Cheers Marj

10. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

If for some reason you can't send seeds in return (grasshoppers ate my plants) you should pm the person you are trading with and excuse yourself. If they have already sent the seeds offer something else in exchange or offer to pay the postage. dooley

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

bann

If one doesnt send seeds in return, they should be banned off the forums till they do?

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I agree with the "don't trade with new Stewbies" idea.
    I've had many trades and all have been successful, I think :headscratch: I sure hope I didn't forget to thank anyone! I hadn't even noticed till this minute about the flood of newbies during seed time :rolleyes: It's just a shame that some people can be so inconsiderate :( But, for every bad one there's a bunch of great ones!
    Deanna
    :-D

13. amelia

amelia New Seed

Don't forget packaging requirements, providing info on number of seeds in advance of the trade, etc.

14. starface000

starface000 Seedling

Maybe one personal idea could be don't trade anything you don't have a lot of. That way, if someone is a jerk and doesn't follow through on their end, you won't be out too much, except a disappointed feeling that some people aren't very nice. But I also think the idea of ranking someone with their trades is a good idea. Or, maybe if it's not too much trouble, both parties send their plants to a mediator and once they have both plants, they send them where they need to be.

15. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

a couple things i've learned in seed trading is to be sure to either use a bubble wrap envelope or some bubble wrap to secure the seeds from mail machines, and to always put your name and your garden stew name in the package.