Mystery Flower~~update~~

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Pinkiered, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

This flower just started growing in the yard. I didnt plant it so I dont know what it is but it is beautiful!

Does someone know what it is? If you need a better pic I can take one tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can't see any leaves Denee to help me figure out what it is. :-? Does it have any? Itcould be a lily of some sorts but can't be sure. What size is the flower? Looks as though you might have another two starting as well or are they different plants entirely?

4. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Ok I just went and took some more pics of it for you guys. Now it isnt growing from a bulb like a lily. Its growing from a corm (its that right?) like banana pups from the base of the mother plant. I dug some up and potted them and their were more that had divided off the larger one. The orignal corm is about the size of a womans fist when she closes her hand.

Now heres the pics

Theres no leaves on the large flower but if youll look just under the pink bloom youll see a yellow and white bloom off the same flower stem. They seem to be growing out the little "ruffles" under the pink bloom.

[​IMG]

Now the little one just to the left of the large one has a leave that looks similar to that of a calla lily but is longer and slimmer. But if you look at the little one in front of the larger one, theres no leaf on that one.
    [​IMG]

And its a large flower. Thats my hand holding it so you can get an idea of the size.
    [​IMG]

5. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Plus if you look at the orignal pics that I posted yesterday and then the ones I posted today.... this thing grows fast! You cant really see the buds on the two little ones but today they have good color and are alot larger. As a matter a fact, if you look at the very first pic at the very top, the little one with the leaf is in the left side of the pic. Theres no bud there. (just noticed)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

Just off to check my gardening books!!! :D

7. eileen

I'VE FOUND IT!

It's a member of the Ginger family from, would you believe it, THAILAND!!! Neither wonder none of my usual gardening books had it in them.

It called a Siam Tulip - not sure exactly which one it is but it may be Curcuma Aurantica (Rainbow Curauma) and can grow from a rhizome as you said!!!!

Here's a little info on it for you:

Family: Zingiberaceae
    Genus: Curcuma (KER-koo-muh) (Info)
    Species: alismatifolia (uh-lis-mat-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Category:
    Tropicals/Tender Perennials

Height:
    18-24 in. (45-60 cm)

Spacing:
    3-6 in. (7-15 cm)

Hardiness:
    USDA Zone 8a: to -12.2° C (10° F)
    USDA Zone 8b: to -9.4° C (15° F)
    USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6° C (20° F)
    USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8° C (25° F)
    USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1°C (30° F)
    USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7° C (35° F)
    USDA Zone 11: above 4.5° C (40° F)

Sun Exposure:
    Sun to Partial Shade

Danger:
    Unknown

Bloom Color:
    Pink

Bloom Time:
    Mid Summer

Foliage:
    Deciduous
    Blue-Green
    Smooth-Textured

Other details:
    Requires consistently moist soil; do not let dry out between waterings.

Soil pH requirements:
    Unknown

Propagation Methods:
    By dividing rhizomes, tubers, corms or bulbs (including offsets)

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Oh wow! You posted the same time I did and I didnt see your post til now! LOL I found it too! LOL

But you found way more info than me on it!

THANK YOU! I bow to your queeniness!
    I found out mine is a hybrid. After reading up on them, it doesnt surprise me none. From what Ive read, they cross breed these alot.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

9. eileen

Just glad I could help Denee. :-D I agree btw yours is definately prettier by far. :D

Thank you Bugs for my new title - OOOOOOOOO I is all posh now!!! Sounds so much better than General Dogsbody doesn't it? :setc_005:

10. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Nice to give credit where credit is due though. Dee is very knowledgable too,is she not?

11. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Very gorgeous and unusual - go you, Eileen, for identifying it. It looks like it's growing right up against a fence - if that is a neighbor's fence, perhaps it is what they planted on the other side?

12. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

I was at Lowes today and saw my plant there for $29!!! :eek: Its called an Aussie Plume Ginger.:D

And they are really growing out there! I have plenty if you guys want some. I can cut them down to the corm or whatever they come up from. The bulbs seem to divide so like I say, I have plenty!

And you know...for my friends across the pond, I could send you some "earrings" :D and OH MY how did those corms get in there?! :D

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Its a good thing she found it.Keep it watered as in La.Its so hot.I just love it I bet a mole transplanted it from somewhere .I've been told moles usually wont eat bulbs but like to move them around .Thats why you see tulips and other bulb plants out in fields.I really would buy one if I find them that is a beautiful plant .Thank you Eileen for putting a label to it.:)