white stuff on my jade plant

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by zgillenwater, Oct 12, 2006.

1. zgillenwater

zgillenwater New Seed

Just this morning I noticed spots of white, cotton looking stuff on my jade plant. When I touched it, it was kind of sticky. I have no experience with pests of any sort -- I'm pretty new to houseplants and gardening in general. Any idea what this white stuff is and how I can cure my jade?

Thanks,
    Zoe

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It sounds like powder mildew.

4. glendann

5. zgillenwater

zgillenwater New Seed

Yes, that sounds like it! Thanks for the clue. I'll treat it (and my adjacent African violet, which I read is susceptible) tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,
    Zoe

Advertisement
  6. zgillenwater

zgillenwater New Seed

Hmm, now I think it might actually be cottony cushion scale. Almost all of the white blobs are at the junction between leaf and stem. This sounds more like cottony cushion scale, whereas powdery mildew is more covered on the leaves. Is my limited understanding based on my Google research correct? I've also read that white cottony spots where the leaves join the stem could be a mealy bug infestation. I'm totally confused now!

If it is cottony cushion scale, how do I kill it? I've read that rubbing alcohol kills it, but one page that says this also says earlier on the page that rubbing alcohol kills the jade plant too ! (http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortis ... s/jade.htm -- do a search in the page for "cottony") What to do?

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

If you could get a photo Zoe that would help us immensely. Would it be possible?

I read elsewhere that it could also be mealybugs. The detective work continues... :)

8. glendann

It really could be any of those.Like Frank said, picture please.It would really help .

9. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I imagine its mealybugs. Get a swab tipped with alcohol and gently rub them off. This is a common thing on jade plants. Repeat in a week or two as needed. 8)

10. zgillenwater

zgillenwater New Seed

It was difficult to take photos, because my camera just goes blurry when you try to get in close enough to see any detail in the white stuff. So I don't know how helpful these will be, but here they are:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bethie -- so you have used rubbing alcohol on a jade plant without harming it, right? I read a note from someone else on another site where the person said alcohol had killed their jade plant. Do you think it was just a coincidence that the plant died after she used the alcohol?

Thanks everyone,
    Zoe

11. bethie

bethie Young Pine

You just use a little alcohol and gently rub the mealybugs off. Her plant probably died from the investation and the alcohol both. Your plant is infested. Take some plastic wrap and put it over the dirt so it doesn't come out when you tip the pot. Take the pot to the sink and run the water warm. Take a plain cotton swab while running the water over the leaves and get those mealy bugs off. Be gentle but thorough. When your leaves dry, if it needs it do it again. In a week or two you may have to do it again. I've had this on jade plants and just be vigilant. When I have used alcohol when there are just a few places I usually rinse it off. Check your other plants. 8)