My electronic burner.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by eileen, Dec 28, 2007.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here's a piccie for Toni and everyone else that wanted to see what my new weed burner looked like.

[​IMG]

I've already nuked every single weed growing between the patio slabs and not a single one is left in the crazy paving out front either!!! :twisted: I have a feeling that my neighbours bindweed will never be a problem again. :D

2. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have seen those before..or something like it. What is in the tube? Propane or a chemical? Looks interesting... Sorry I don't understand how it can be electric..explain please...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That looks very interesting Eileen. I would want to use that around patio stones as well. Do you think it really kills Bindweed? That stuff is evil!

4. eileen

It's propane gas Sherry. I don't, and wouldn't, use chemicals in my garden as I'm completely organic here.

The burner works by attaching the can by screwing it into place just below the handle. All you have to do then is twist the black knob at the top of the can to let the gas flow and then press the red button near the base. This allows a spark to be generated which lights the gas. Be careful if you ever use one though to keep the whole thing pointed downwards. If you point it upwards to get a 4 foot flame-thrower!!!! :eek:

Netty I think it should kill off bindweed as it burns right down to the base of the plant. Just hold it slightly above the soil for a few extra seconds once the weed is frazzled and it should sere the roots too.

Advertisement
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds like my kind of tool Eileen :smt023

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the picture Eileen. That is one I found on a website but I wasn't sure if it was the same as yours.
    I can see how you would have been having a fine time zapping weeds. Can it only be used on weeds between patio stones and in driveways? It would probably set wood chip mulch on fire,but can it be used on bare ground in areas that need to be cleared to expand the garden?

7. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn New Seed

awesome!

This looks so neat!

8. eileen

Toni bare earth weed zapping would be just fine. You concentrate the flame on the area you want to burn so you can torch indiviual weeds between plants or even in a lawn.

It can light BBQ's as well and could even roast a few squirrels and wood pigeons if you had it lifted up on flame-thrower mode!!!! :D :D :D

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh boy, oh boy. I have an untouched area under the large Hackberry tree that is overgrown with small trees and shrubs that the birds have planted, I have been wanting to clear it out to make a shade garden but the clearing process is impossible by hand alone. I think the weed burner just might be the answer to my problem.

Flame thrower you say? There is the problem of the stray cats taking up residence in my garden to feast on the birds.

10. bethie

bethie Young Pine

It almost makes me feel sorry for the weeds-NOT! :D :D

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Hey there....I am a squirrel lover...lets not go roasting any, I finally drew some to the yard...

Only teasing you ...you can roast anything you want in your yard..Do the neighbors call you the fire lady yet. I am known as the flower lady here...

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Looks like a handy, little toy that might be put on my spring have-to-have-list! :)

13. eileen

I think the squirrels will be safe from me Sherry as they move way too fast and use my fence (wooden) as a highway. It took us a while to get the fence erected so I'd better not burn it to the ground or Ian might divorce me!!! :D :D I may be tempted to scorch a few lily beetles though if they come visiting. ;)

14. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was only teasing you...I did not think you would do that.
    It sure is getting cold here in Wisconsin. I think the high was 19 today but I did manage to take a lot of outside decorations down. In the next week we are suppose to get down to 6 above 0 at night...New Years usually comes in cold for us...

Happy New Year....

15. eileen

I think the squirrels have decided that my burner is a great way to keep warm. One was cheeky enough today to actually come and sit within a foot of where I was zapping weeds. There again it could have be hoping that I'd pop the corn that it had dropped -maybe it's family had a great DVD to watch while they munched popcorn!!! :D :D :D