12/31/2016..Finally Started 3rd Round!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by hummerbum, Dec 31, 2016.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Happy Happy New Year!!
    Well I finally tackled a few things...finally started seeds, cleaned up the other area
    , rearranged a few things, feed and replenished nutrients and put thyme and cilantro on nutrients. I also came up with a way to use the very first grow light that I had, which is 4ft long...boy do I love pvc pipe...I made this little doo-hickey for the light from the pipe I used earlier this year...so now I have a temporary seed starter area. Just used what I had...
    Started a lot more lettuces, spinach, arugula, turnips, kale, pak choi (the tiny ones this time) and red onions. Trying any and everything. Eventually they all will move to the right (pink hue..the grow area).
    20161231_161718.jpg

20161231_162204.jpg

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks as though you've been busy!! Fingers crossed that everything grows well for you.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR.

hummerbum likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Happy New Year, Hummer.
    Well, you must be well-chuffed with this third round. I am just so impressed with what you have accomplished there. Of course it is nice to hear compliments, but the real bonus for you is the harvesting and eating of your own veg, isn't it. That's the highpoint and goal, after all. Chapeau.

hummerbum likes this.
  5. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thanks Eileen and Sjoerd..take a look at this since this past Saturday..took it this a.m.
    20170104_073839.jpg
    They are springing up...thanks to an old heating pad

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

Yay for a near year and a new gardening season!!!!! I can't wait for this year! You guys in the south get to start so much earlier then we do. I'm jealous :p

Cayuga Morning and hummerbum like this.
  7. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

*New lol sorry.

hummerbum likes this.
  8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Lol kbsrt410...that may be true but I still don't have a garden like most...check out some of my posts. I am doing a lot of hydroponics in my apartment..and starting to eat really well...lmbo!!

kbsrt410 likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Looking good Hummer. I am having
    Pak Choi this very evening....(my own).
    It grows really fast doesn't it.
    Good that you have an old heating pad to use...they can be really helpful with some veggies.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    hummerbum likes this.
  10. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

Hummer-i'm completely intimidated by the thought of indoor growing!!

hummerbum likes this.
  11. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Look at how fast they are growing..since last saturday...Just moved the babies to window for a few days...and then I'll start feeding them...heck I have to find containers for theme. I have a lot of tomato seeds coming and I have others that I "picked up" at home depot while looking for a 3 prong timer...lol. I looked at all this that I have already..and guess what I'll be doing this wknd...cleaning out the room to make way for another shelving unit. I'M OUT OF CONTROL!!!
    20170106_144407.jpg

Change of plans...I forgot we are going to have freezing temps here in the South for a few days..just moved them back to the warmth of the light.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Why is that kbsrt410? I was too...but then after 6 years of not doing anything because I don't have a "normal" garden space was hard on me as a passionate gardener. Then one day on YouTube I saw a person grow lettuce from a baby container and I tried it... Boy was I nervous...had no clue if it would work but some did and some didn't. Now I'm ok trying quite a few different types of veggies...give it a try..start small and you will be hooked like I am

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  13. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Sjoerd...how was the pak choi?

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Meid---it was really tasty. It freezes-in well. as did the sprouts. I quite like Pak Choi, but have to plant it early here or else it'll bolt. I grow it in my greenhouse as well as outside.

hummerbum likes this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I did not know it freezes well. I had good success with it last year. I grew 2 kinds & I was harvesting for some time. Then they bolted. When the cool weather came, I sowed them thickly & grew them as micro greens. Great in salads. Okay okay I am not being fully honest....I sowed them thickly because I tripped & fell with the seeds, spilling them everywhere. So I went with it & called it a sowing of micro greens. They were great. I will do it again, minus the falling bit

Hummerbum I am interested in your hydroponics. Please let us know how it goes.

Sjoerd and hummerbum like this.
  16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well done hummer. I am impressed. I have grown a lot of plants but never any hydro's.

hummerbum likes this.