2014 pond makeover

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by FountainMan, May 14, 2014.

1. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Spent the last 4 weeks redoing the pond. I made the mistake of letting it sit over the winter and took one week cleaning it out then 3 to build it back up.

[​IMG]
    Lagoon. Edged with cobble stones and pickerelweed. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Here's the main pond. Got it planted. There are small fish but they're hiding. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    This is the stream that runs into the pond. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    An overhead shot of stream. The black object in the center is a solar fountain. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Waterfall. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Here's the header pool for the water garden. This feature is popular with birds. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    This is the pump container. The 1200gph pump runs stream. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    A side shot of the pond. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

eileen, Jewell, Beeker and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've done a grand job there and everything is looking fantastic. I love to hear the trickle of water in the garden as it's so peaceful and calming.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree Eileen. The sound & look of water in the garden is so relaxing.

5. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

:) last night it was cool outside. I have my parents open up the windows. The sound of the water hits their windows head on. It is relaxing. Sometimes I spend hours out by the pond.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd spend hours out there too! I can almost hear it from here. And it looks sooooo nice.

FountainMan likes this.
  7. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Hey Cheryl, I almost forgot to mention the Louisiana Black Gamecock Iris's, Umbrella Palm and Pink Pickerelweed you gave me a while back are doing well.

[​IMG]
    Umbrella Palm and 4 leaf water clover. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Louisiana Black Gamecock Iris. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )
    The leaves are chewed up a bit from a caterpillar. Last week I found the dead caterpillar below the plant under the water. My guess is it climbed up a leaf and fell off into the water and drowned. So that problem is solved.

[​IMG]
    Pickerelweed. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )I lost track of which is which but one of these guys is the pink Pickerelweed.

All the plants above are the ones we exchanged about a year or so ago. All of them are healthy.

Jewell likes this.
  8. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Here's a shot of my little fishies. The multicolor goldfish resemble miniature koi. Turned the fountain off to get a shot of the fishies.

[​IMG]
    Happy fishies. ( photo / image / picture from FountainMan's Garden )

Frank, eileen and waretrop like this.
  9. cherylad

Glad to see that all of the plants like living with you.
    My pink pickerel is just now trying to bloom. I don't recall seeing a blue one last year.
    My Black Gamecock bloomed last week.

[​IMG]
    Louisiana Black Gamecock 05-06-14 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

FountainMan likes this.
  10. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

Hopefully mine will bloom sometime. I'm guessing next year. For some reason my pickerelweed doesn't seem to be pushing up flowers. Usually just below the leaves there will be a slit in the stem where the flower emerges. This year I'm not seeing that. Maybe next year.

11. cherylad

Each of mine bloomed the first year I got them. So maybe your's just need a little more warmth? Hope you don't have to wait too long.

FountainMan likes this.
  12. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

It's been cool this year. Although I did have these sitting in a tub in the middle of the yard until my pond was finished. Maybe next year.

13. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

I do remember when I first got the Iris's they were small. One stalk. Now the plant is huge. It outgrew the planter. In 1 year I've had it it's 10 times the size it was when I got it. So I know that it's healthy.

14. cherylad

I was just thinking about thinning mine out, but I can just imagine a big mass of roots. I don't know if I'd even be able to manage it without a chain saw. :D

15. FountainMan

FountainMan Seedling

They grow fast. I think there's a good chance by this time next year I'll be seeing flowers. Between the Pink and violet Pickerelweed Scarlet water lilies I'll have one colorful pond! LOL. Parrots Feather is starting to grow in the lagoon. Tomorrow I'm going to add some Duckweed to the lagoon. Between the Parrots Feather, cattail, water lilies and Pickerelweed the lagoon will have that old European appearance. The main pond in contrast will have a more modern yet naturalistic vibe. Going for a little mix of everything style wise. Tricky part is making the different style go together and look great.

cherylad likes this.
  16. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Absolutely lovely pond. Great job on its creation.