2015: Out with the old, in with the new!

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by S-H, Jan 4, 2015.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

It is a fact of life, that nothing depreciates in value as fast as a PC. So whatever we spend from our own pocket, (to get the best possible computer in our home) - Will in a few years time become as worthless as mud...

Of course, some of us will naturally get very upset about this. Which is why few individuals try very hard to use their PCs in some productive way, so that the PC somehow ends up paying for itself. However this isn't always easy to accomplish.

So in the end (and believe me that I too am no exception), we all feel cheated to some degree. And thus end up tossing and turning on the bed for a few weeks, specially then it's time buy a new PC...

Now I had made a post in our village Square section about new year's resolution. I had asked for suggestion regarding what to do, as I had 3 to choose from.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about34350.html

However about 10 days ago, I stumbled upon a new idea! Yes, it was time for me to get a new PC also, and so that's where it hit me... It was clear that I'll never get back the money I had spent on getting my PC some years back. So instead of bitterly throwing the old PC in trash - I got the idea of why not start an unofficial 3D CAD club! A friend who is a part time teacher suggested it to me. So this is how the idea caught on.

Therefore now I'll be teaching some bright kids about 3D designing, (in my spare time of course)! They will not have to pay a thing, all they need to do is just be creative! The school has also agreed to let us use a large vacant room. So that is where my old PC will be installed tomorrow.

The old computer (although now becoming somewhat slow for me), still is very powerful when compared to the average computers of today. It has 32 gigabytes of DDR ram, 2 Intel Xeon processors, plus an extremely beefy graphics accelerator card, and of course a made to order 1000 watt power supply (as well as 4 extremely fast hot swap SATA hard drives, and 1 solid state HDD)!!!

And so this is just perfect to be used in a school's computer lab. Where smart kids in their early teens will be using it aggressively (as I'll now be teaching them how to use AutoCAD 3D)! And just for kicks, I've also ordered a new 3D virtual reality headset for this lab also!!! :p

It's all about satisfaction actually, which I wouldn't have gotten had I traded my old PC for a new and more powerful one, (as these things depreciate a lot in a very short time). So why not donate it somewhere, where I too won't be too far away from it, and it also will continue to get used! Therefore this is the experiment now, so let's see what a few brights kids will crate from it!

While I go and get myself something new and even more powerful! :D

Personally speaking, I feel certain things very strongly when it comes to my profession. I myself got into it (in a serious way) when I was in my early teens. Yet today I see some very bright kids (who now have far more tools to play with, far more then I had when I was at their age) - Yet all they do is waste their time and energy on useless things. Take FaceBook for example, can anyone imagine a greater waste of time, energy, and bandwidth??? Which is why I feel that I should now start doing something, which will again revive the true spirit of creativity! So that's where the old PC will now play a major part...

[​IMG]
    The old PC ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I simply donate my old PC's, printers etc. to our Cultural Center, where a few older retired men, wipe the HD's do any repairs get them up and running and donate to schools for kids to learn on or play around with.

S-H likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think this is a great idea S-H. Seeing how kids absolutely Minecraft, which is basically AutoCAD in a game form, they should go bananas for your class. I think they will really impress you with what they can create. Keep us updated and I wish you luck!

5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Actually Frank, I am already impressed. As the first few kids who decided to sign up are all girls, and just 1 boy. In my time (when I was in my mid teens) girls didn't care much for computers, (they seemed more interested in the latest fashion trends). And subjects like engineering, well those you could have simply forgotten about, (when it came to girls) - I think the myth in those days was that if you remain seated in front of the PC for too long, then your eyesight will suffer... However now everybody spends at least 4 hours in a day in front of their own PCs. So this is a positive change in trend which I am really surprised about!

And no, I won't be installing Minecraft, as these kids are all pre-engineering students (between the ages of 14 to 16). So they need to get a taste of some serious stuff, like AutoCAD 3D (which I know best), as well as SolidWorks 3D... My task is to condition the kids, to familiarize them with what is actually used in the manufacturing industry. I'm also trying to see to it that all the students will have their own personal copies of AutoCAD too, (the school is already negotiating the software license fee for this). But as the kids will make more and more complex designs on their own - Their PCs will not be able to render all of their creations in time (as sometimes it may take many hours). So that's where my old computer will be used, as it is still very powerful compared to the average PC of today, (it really can render in minutes, what otherwise may take hours).

Otherwise, if AutoCAD is installed on only 1 PC and everybody gets to have a turn on it (while I explain the theory on the blackboard) - Is a situation were I think nobody will get to learn and experiment much... So if that's the case, then I'll simply opt out of teaching. This is also a first for me too, to become a teacher. So nobody is sure what will happen... :D But the real issue which we are facing right now is that the full 3D version of AutoCAD isn't cheap, it is very costly - So finding a sponsor for this, (if it is to be installed on all the PCs of students), is the real challenge.

But here too, I thankfully know a few people in the metal working industry who just might be interested in supporting this idea. I dragged a lawyer friend into this also, and so we just may be able to offer the companies a tax deduction for supporting us. And this may also pave the way for my future students to get internships in the manufacturing industry too! So this really is some exciting stuff that I've fallen into, provided of course that it gets off the ground...

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

OK, I had been keeping this to myself up till now - However today I think is the perfect time to drop this bomb! :smt040

See what some boys and girls designed in Karachi a while back, with AutoCAD of course!!! Materials such as carbon fiber (with which they fabricated the bodies of these cars) was donated to them by SUPARCO (Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission of Pakistan) - Which is the civilian side of our missile and rocket program.

http://www.suparco.gov.pk/

While the testing facilities and machine workshop (where the actual fabrication and assembly took place) was provided by Pakistan Navy.

http://www.paknavy.gov.pk/

However the real 3D designing of the vehicles with computers (CAD) was an area where they actually needed some serious assistance... So yes, I'm really VERY proud of them, as these students achieved this in record time! :smt023

Anyway, this team of young students is are right now participating in the Shell Eco-Marathon Asia, in the city of Manila, Philippines! The races will start on the 16th of this month, (tomorrow), where all different concept cars (from different countries in Asia) running of different alternative fuels, well be competing against one and other... So let's see what will be the result!
    :fingerscrossed:
    http://www.shell.com/global/environment-society/ecomarathon/events/asia.html

ClipBoard1.jpg
    ClipBoard2.jpg
    ClipBoard3.jpg
    ClipBoard4.jpg
    ClipBoard5.jpg
    ClipBoard6.jpg
    ClipBoard7.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Did you teach them the ways of AutoCAD S-H? I like the car design, very tidy and sleek.

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes, and no... OK, a few them I did teach (indirectly). But I am not actually in this specific venture. As they are focused on building the cars and competing in the race, while I am strictly in the CAD field - Like I just teach how to use AutoCAD correctly, what they themselves make from it isn't exactly my concern... Anyway I actually met them all a bit late in the project. As by the time I arrived, they had already decided what to do, and how to build it, (thus they were committed, as in their basic designs were locked). So had it been my choice, I'd have urged then to design something else, something which would be a real designing challenge! But they had their hearts already set on participating in the Shell Eco-Marathon Asia, (as getting financial sponsors for this was very easy)...

However things will be totally different for the next batch of students who I am training (in my own area)! Because they will now be getting the full experience of CAD! This is due to the fact that AutoDesk (the makers of AutoCAD 3D) just last month announced that from now on they will be giving free software to all educational institutions worldwide! They also created the ARC (the Academic Resource Center), which now makes it very easy for many schools, collages, and universities to download leading AutoDesk software, including AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit, 3ds Max, and Maya!

So the problem which I was initially worried about when I started this thread, (regarding the software license fee for the full version of AutoCAD 3D) - No longer exists!!! :D

http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/academic-resource-center

These students basically made 2 type of cars. One is a road worthy 4 wheel vehicle (capable of seating 1 person), conforming to all the international safety standards which should make it street legal to drive anywhere in the world. While the other is a 3 wheel vehicle, built only for speed, and to be strictly used on the racing track. Purpose of both cars is to see which alternative fuel will be best suited for the cars of the future. Both cars by the way use the same type of fuel and the same engine, only their bodies are different.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015