3 feet tall, green leaves, black seed pods, yellow blooms

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by toni, Jul 1, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

First I thought it the leaves resembled a Hollyhock but I had not put out Hollyhock seeds in that pot. I don't know if I purposely planted it or a birdy thought it should be growing in that pot for me.

[​IMG]
    Leaves of unknown ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Seed pods reminded me of Hollyhock..
    [​IMG]
    Seed pods of unknown ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

But the flower is not Hollyhock...
    [​IMG]
    Flower of unknown ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Velvet Leaf Toni :)

4. toni

Thanks Netty. I never would have guessed that. I did a search for Hollyhock, never thought about searching for Mallow instead.
    Well, isn't that a strange thing. I don't recognize any of the common names for Abutilon theophrasti so I know I didn't buy seeds on purpose. I had an assortment of wildflower seeds that I planted in one or two of the pots this spring just to see what came up and now I can not find the package...I wonder if it was included in the mix. There is a second one coming up I just noticed when I was looking at the photos. One of the common names is Indian Mallow that would explain the Hollyhock like leaves.

I have plenty of seeds to try some again next year possibly.

Another possibility is that I am reading the seeds can stay dormant for up to 60 years before germinating :eek: I wonder if it was in the potting soil I bought in the Spring to renew the pots with. :rolleyes:

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

MAN, PULL THAT FAST. It will invade entire fields up here. As a child we had a neighbor whose field was nothing but this stuff....EVERY YEAR! I never could understand why they didn't till it under and plant a different crop or nothing at all until they had it under control. I usually have a bunch sown in the corn patch, but this year it isn't as bad a normal.

6. toni

This is one plant, maybe two, in a pot right now and as long as I pull off the seed pods I should be able to keep up with it.
    I have Jewels of Opar, Peanut plants and Passionflower vines that are much more trouble than a couple of Indian Mallow plants are right now.