4 more thrift store treasures

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Nov 10, 2008.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

These cone shaped baskets are divided in half by the mesh hearts. They aren't very big but I think I will line them, fill with potting soil and plant something small in them.
    [​IMG]

When I make extracts for soaps, etc. I have to keep the jars in a dark place for several weeks and this will hold several baby food jars for doing just that.
    [​IMG]

This is wrought iron and a bit rusty but looks great. Was originally for hold candles on a patio or somewhere but I will be planting in each of those hanging parts, of course.
    [​IMG]

This is an old, rusty metal lamp part. I am going to punch holes in a bucket and hook it onto the bottom part then hang it from a tall shephards hook.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You must show us more photographs when you get everything planted up Toni. Any ideas on what kinds of plants you're thinking of using?
    You find some great stuff when you go to thrift stores. Ours have very little of interest these days - mainly old books and clothes and not a lot more.

4. toni

In the hanging stand with the three pots I am thinking about putting the stand on a bench and planting three different colors of Morning Glories and let them climb all over the stand.

The tiered basket thing I am not sure. My first thought was to put Snowflake bulbs in each cone since they are smallish. Then replace them with something else when those fade.

This thrift store always has so much stuff. It is run by several churches and the proceeds help keep their local food pantry and free clinic running so people donate soooo much, they are able to have three large stores filled.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh-ho, such lovely finds! :D Your wrought iron thingie is really gorgeous, I can't wait to see it in it's place with plants. I'm really wondering what you'll do with the hearts. It's very sweet, a pity it's so small. Your cabinet came in handy, didn't it? I like the idea of the lamp top or whatever becoming a bucket handle. It's very decorative.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I like the cabinet a lot Toni, are you thinking of giving it a unique touch of paint?

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Toni you hit the jackpot again. I love all your finds. You mentioned 3 stores. Do you know where the other two are? Be sure and post pics of planters, etc, when complete.

8. toni

One is mostly clothes near downtown Lewisville. The other one on Main street in The Colony, several blocks north of Hwy 121 doesn't have the neat 'junque' like the one on old 121 in Lewisville.

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You always find the coolest junque and come up with the best ideas Toni! I can't wait to see them all finished up!

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Toni--if there was any doubt before, there certainaly isn't now...that you are without doubt the all-time queen of thrift! Your exploits in the yard sales, thrift shops etc are now legendary.
    These last ones really are super--I can even think of uses in my own garden. Ha ha ha. What a pro you are.
    Congratulations, well-deserved.

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Ooo, that little wood cabinet just has me itching to get out my craft acrylics. It's been ages, might have to tackle something when the rain sets in...

12. travelingbooklover

travelingbooklover In Flower

Great finds, Toni. I found four wire hanging pieces that were cone shaped. I planted mint in two, a miniature ivy in another and a miniature flowering vine that looked like tiny sunflowers in the other- if I can find the name of it online, I will post it. All three didn't seem to mind the cramped cone shape, I used dried Spanish moss to line the cone shapes and filled it with a compost and soil mix. I can't wait to see your finds all planted up.

13. toni

There are many times we wander thru that whole thrift store and not find much of anything useful. And there have been a couple of things that were already sold by the time we saw them. :'(

Randy is going to cut out the mesh heart portion that divides the cone, just leaving the top half of the heart in place. That should make it easier to plant.

I am going to paint that little cabinet, not sure what design tho. I may be using it quite a while before inspiration hits me.

14. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Thanks Toni...I know where the one in The Colony is and don't need clothes. Was hoping one might be closer to Addison, since I won't have time to get to Lewisville.

15. toni

The one in Lewisville is less than 20 minutes from Addison.
    By the way, I am close, really close to Addison. Where are you going to be? Tell your daughter that I am two blocks west of Webb Chapel and one block south of Beltline, ask her how far from her that is.

16. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What a good idea! I wonder how easy it will be to cut, but I'm certain it will look very good.