I have little stickers and they cling to everything! Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by jenniferu24, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jenniferu24

jenniferu24 New Seed

My husband and i moved into a new cute rent house. We have 2 little girls that can not wait until the summer. Problem is we walked outside and all these little stickers started sticking on us. What is the correct term and how do i get a pretty lush lawn? I want the lawn from the scotts commercial its pretty!!!! :-D

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. B1200
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi, first let me welcome you to GardenStew. Please take a few minutes to post an intro of yourself in the Welcome to GardenStew forum.

Getting the lush lawn you dream of will take some time and work. Those stickers only grow in basically dead soil and planting grass seed without doing some 'ground work' will be a waste of time and money.
    You can contact a local garden center or the horticultural department of a local college, they should have soil testing kits or be able to tell you where to get one. Once you know what your soil is lacking you will know what amendments will be needed to add nutrients and bring life back.

I know you will need some good compost but other additives will be determined by what kind of soil you have and what it needs to be healthy.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hello Jennifer and welcome to our forums. :-D Toni is right with her advice and if you follow it then you willhave a beautiful lawn before too long.
    If you check out some of the other posts in this forum you'll find lots of advice about lawns. Do let us know how you get on with your new garden and if you have any more questions then ask away as we love to help out. :D

5. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Hi Jennifer, [​IMG] Welcome to The Stew.
    I live in a sandy, coastal area wit lots of "sand spurs",
    which may be the same as your stickers.
    When we first bought our home, there were loads of them in our lawn. :-?

I certainly agree with Toni about how to get a great lawn in the long term,
    in the short term, I'd suggest that you mow frequently and bag all the clippings,
    do NOT add them to your compost, at least not for now,
    you want to get all of those stickers as far away from your yard as possible.
    That is the main technique we used to clear up our problem.

Another method I've seen people use, is to drag a thrift store blanket over the lawn,
    to "collect" the burs, but then you must throw the blanket away.
    This method is used for a quick, short term solution,
    if, for example, your girls wanted to be able to play in the yard at the weekend.

I wish you great success with your picture perfect lawn, I must admit we've never
    succeeded on that score, but I am pleased enough to be able to go barefoot. :D